50mm Summilux Asph lens hood off!! [HELP Please]

sergiomarried

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello friends,

I was just walking yesterday night with my camera hanging on my shoulder when suddenly and completely unexpectedly the lens hood of my 50 Lux disengaged and off the structure... Seems to me that a little screw that holds it in place came off perhaps? I don't know, I'm just a bit in shock because the things that happened to me with Leica gear are simply unique among all brands... Any advice from your side? Easy fix? Send it to Leica? I need this sucker in about a month for a paid gig I have committed...

Thanks a lot in advanced for your help, greetings from Spain. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

sergiomarried,  Hola,  You're right. The shade is maintened by a little screw that can go away and let the shade go on its own, I experienced it. 

Surely the screw is somewhere in the nature, so to get an other one, the best is to go to a Leica dealer who will surely replace it (for free) an stick it with a drop of nail varnish.

Simple to do and get a lens as new.

21 minutes ago, jankap said:

The lens says E46. Where can the filters be screwed into? Not into the sunshade I suppose.

It seems outer barrel is containing sliding hood and the filter and lens cap thread. I am now going to pick up my fine screwdrivers and tighten it on my lens, it seems single screw was only securing the outer barrel, it held itself in place by being tight fit - friction.

Edit, following above reported incident I completed tightening all visible screw heads on my M lenses.  It is a cheap to buy relative to cost of equipment set of good quality micro screwdrivers and use them occasionally, call it preventative maintenance like checking oil dipstick on the car engine.  Modern lens usually come with cross-head (Philips) while older German lenses have flat screw-head.

Rather than buying European standard I would suggest JIS or Japanese Industrial Standard cross-head screwdrivers, I found Japanese brand Vessel on UK Amazon, highly recommended. If anyone wish to learn the difference between Japanese and other screwdrivers I would suggest YouTube, type JIS Screwdriver, motorcycle and car repair community rave about them.

Edited by mmradman

25 minutes ago, mmradman said:

It seems outer barrel is containing sliding hood and the filter and lens cap thread. I am now going to pick up my fine screwdrivers and tighten it on my lens, it seems single screw was only securing the outer barrel, it held itself in place by being tight fit - friction.

The hood has nothing to do with whether or not a filter can be mounted.  The E46 thread is in the end of the lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

The hood has nothing to do with whether or not a filter can be mounted.  The E46 thread is in the end of the lens.

I beg to differ, please look at the picture on post 1, there is no filter thread on the lens itself. Therefore it must be part of the detached barrel which holds lens hood. Just had a close look at mY lens, there is clear gap between the filter thread and lens basel.

edit, take a close look at the detached barrel, you can see the filter thread there.

Edited by mmradman

17 minutes ago, mmradman said:

I beg to differ, please look at the picture on post 1, there is no filter thread on the lens itself. Therefore it must be part of the detached barrel which holds lens hood. Just had a close look at mY lens, there is clear gap between the filter thread and lens basel.

edit, take a close look at the detached barrel, you can see the filter thread there.

Ah, I see what you mean.  I had not realised that - a casual glance at mine with the hood slid back led me to think the thread was in the lens casing, not realising it is actually in the barrel.

In the US, a call to Leica New Jersey asking for help would likely result in a tiny screw sent to you for replacement.  Perhaps Wetzlar does the same? However, is there damage to the thread on the barrel or a fractured piece of the missing screw there?  Either of those possibilities requires more than a simple screw replacement.  

https://leicastoremiami.com/products/leica-replacement-lens-hood-for-summilux-m-50mm-f-1-4-asph-silver-11892

The images show the mounting hole on the hood barrel, it doesn’t thread iirc, the threads are on the lens barrel. 

Miami stocks many parts that are user replaceable, the M60 hotshoe cover made of stainless steel is available, $125.

Damaged or broken screw would be biggest concern, if the screw hole is free than it is an easy fix, to check screw hole insert thin stiff probe like a sawing needle.  Actual screw should cost far less than hot shoe cover being mentioned 😂. If Leica network can’t provide replacement screw promptly consider buying cheap Chinese M lens and cannibalise parts, or just use it until Summilux can be fixed 😎.

12 minutes ago, mmradman said:

Damaged or broken screw would be biggest concern, if the screw hole is free than it is an easy fix, to check screw hole insert thin stiff probe like a sawing needle.  Actual screw should cost far less than hot shoe cover being mentioned 😂. If Leica network can’t provide replacement screw promptly consider buying cheap Chinese M lens and cannibalise parts, or just use it until Summilux can be fixed 😎.

A visual on the lens barrel should reveal a severed screw or an open thread.  

If used without the hood, I’d cover the hole on the barrel to prevent dust ingress. 

1 hour ago, darylgo said:

A visual on the lens barrel should reveal a severed screw or an open thread.  

If used without the hood, I’d cover the hole on the barrel to prevent dust ingress. 

If you refer to silvery blob on the lens barrel (post #1) it looks more like a top of cross-head screw than a top of snapped up screw.  I would imagine once you remove outer barrel it would expose other fasteners.

If however original screw snapped, which I think to be less likely, the repair would entail drilling new screw hole and tapping it.  With new hole hood barrel can be re-attached and secured with a single screw.

3 minutes ago, mmradman said:

If you refer to silvery blob on the lens barrel (post #1) it looks more like a top of cross-head screw than a top of snapped up screw. 

It wouldn’t be the screw head in the lens barrel.  The head is limited by the hood barrel from going that far. It’s impossible to see from the images what state the screw exists or if it’s missing.  

Leica places a lot of confidence in that single little screw holding (or not for the OP) a rather large hood assembly and whatever filter is torqued onto it. 

1 hour ago, darylgo said:

It wouldn’t be the screw head in the lens barrel.  The head is limited by the hood barrel from going that far. It’s impossible to see from the images what state the screw exists or if it’s missing.  

Leica places a lot of confidence in that single little screw holding (or not for the OP) a rather large hood assembly and whatever filter is torqued onto it. 

For original poster it was unfortunate that the single screw loosened off and the lens shade barrel fell off. With bit of luck it would stay in place by sheer friction, or built up of dirt.

A while back Summicron M 28mm mk1 had a pretty poor reputation for the front metal work falling off, and if I recall correctly it was held by more than one screw, very tiny ones to withstand the strain of attaching and pulling off its lens shade..

Once again we have evidence that all the fancy QC paperwork that comes with exquisitely packed lens is no more than window dressing.  As I said above, once I saw the post I went straight up to tighten all visible screws on my M lenses, I glad to report they didn’t need any.  I did sell my Summicron M 28mm mk1 a while back though 😀.

I’ve replaced a damaged hood myself (I ordered a new hood directly from Leica NJ). The hood sleeve is held in place by a single screw. The retractable hood is held to the assembly by 3 plastic grommets. It’s fairly trivial to reassemble as it looks like you’ve only lost the screw which Leica can send you if it’s been lost.

Erik