British f:2/50mm M -mount to come?

Gelatino

Maybe

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Although some prototypes/pre-production lenses are out there, the actual release date has been postponed due, inter alia, to Covid. I understand that they are also moving to larger facilities and that release of the Bertele is one of their immediate priorities, so I'd expect some news soon. Based on the work Skyllaney did on some of my lenses - and the interactions I have had with them - they are passionate and very professional. I hope they succeed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not much interested in the 50mm, but as a Contax shooter back in the day, I would welcome a converted CY 85mm /f2.8 Sonnar lens, its was a beautiful little gem of a lens and would make a great M-mount optic.

• Like 3

A British made 50mm f2 M fit lens.

Edited by Pyrogallol
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

By coincidence I'd sent them a Jupiter 3 50mm f1.5 to be serviced and to be optimised for my Leicas. I got an email yesterday with a beautiful set of photos and a summary of it what had been done with details of calibration (it's actually a decently sharp example wide open so its been optimised to shoot wide open, with advice to use at least f2.8 for infinity). They ran out of time to do the lens focus tab, and are literally on the way to Scotland on the weekend.

I am very impressed and if you have a rangefinder lens needing servicing, they will still do that. Christopher, like Brian Sweeney who has been involved with Skyllaney, is a massive Sonnar fan, and they plan to produce a contemporary f2 50mm Sonnar (they are sharper overall) as well as bespoke lenses. If you followed their social media feeds as I do, all is there.

The cost of a full CLA & calibration to Leica M (I supplied a good adapter) and postage back was £165 and the turnaround time was a month. Hopefully I'll have it back tomorrow!

I wish them the best. I love the idea of an 85mm CY Sonnar f2.8, which I do own!

Edited by Charles Morgan
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Got the J3 back just now. Well, what a beauty! Perfectly smooth focus and much more damped aperture, so hopefully very few occasions when the aperture gets knocked out from that set (a big problem with some, even clicked, lenses).

I have a test roll of 24 HP5 in the M3, so let's see how it performs wide open etc.

With purchase of original lens from Russia plus this and shipping up there, it's a fully serviced and calibrated fast Sonnar for £300. Let's see how it performs!

• Like 2

Just the one from the returned today J3, fresh off the scanner from a newly developed roll of Delta100 in FX39. Shot wide open at f1.5, my community radio station (I do a classical slot every other Sunday) outside the Clipper pub, Plymouth. 

Edited by Charles Morgan
  • Like 5