M typ 240/246: Half Case vs Thumbs Up Hand Grip vs Hand Grip vs Finger Loop

Shu_downunder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm trying to find out the best solution to make sure I can hold my M246 more steady with less effort.

Half Case

I read lots of comments. Some says it will increase the bulk of the camera. Some, however, says it makes the camera easier to grab as apparently the fiction has increase largely.

My concerns of these beautify leather cases are:

1. will they make the camera overheat?

2. Some of them are fully covered at the bottom, while the frequency of changing battery and SD card is low, it will be inconvenient when using a tripod, although it is unlikely to happen as well.
Some of them has an open hatch so it's easier to change battery and SD card. However you lose the weather seal from the bottom plate.

Thumbs Up Hand Grip

They are most affordable. However they take the space of the hot shoe. When I use R lenses, I need it for the EVF.

Hand Grip

The Leica Grip 14496 or the multi function one 14495 are both nice, but expensive.

Other hand grip I found seems not have proper weather seal as per Leica ones.

Finger Loop

It needs to be used in conjunction with Leica Hand grips.

Which one have you been using all the time? any suggestions appreciated.

I use it (them) "nude" and happy to do that.

The grip is very good (and comfortable enough) with the "new" vulcanite or "leatherette".

Shu, I suggest that you try to use your M246 "nude" for a while with just a lens, then see by yourself if you need some accessories.

8 hours ago, pedaes said:

IMHO a half case with a decent built-it 'bump' works well. Arte di Mano do it best but not cheap.

Thanks. I put the camera in the tool tray of the car so a half case do give some protection.

Will it blocking your ring finger from reaching the front bottom?

5 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

I suggest that you try to use your M246 "nude" for a while with just a lens, then see by yourself if you need some accessories.

I found so far, that I can just handle it 'nude' when using M lenses, but definitely need something for R lenses. 

+1 for Arte di Mano half case with bump and the thumps up. It is how I used my M. No overheating but it was bulky so depends how big your hands are. My half case had a tripod thread underneath. I am now a fan of RRS but dont know if they make one tailored for the M. I have one for my M10 and Q

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/18/2021 at 9:06 AM, Shu_downunder said:

I'm trying to find out the best solution to make sure I can hold my M246 more steady with less effort.

Half Case

I read lots of comments. Some says it will increase the bulk of the camera. Some, however, says it makes the camera easier to grab as apparently the fiction has increase largely.

My concerns of these beautify leather cases are:

1. will they make the camera overheat?

Not in my experience with two different bodies.

2. Some of them are fully covered at the bottom, while the frequency of changing battery and SD card is low, it will be inconvenient when using a tripod, although it is unlikely to happen as well.

I have not personally been inconvenienced by this.
Some of them has an open hatch so it's easier to change battery and SD card. However you lose the weather seal from the bottom plate.

I have some reservations about the weather seal to begin with.  In any case, the lenses have no sealing other than the grease and there is no seal between the lens and the body beyond a nice tight fit.

Thumbs Up Hand Gri

They are most affordable. However they take the space of the hot shoe. When I use R lenses, I need it for the EVF.

I've never used one of the variety that fits in the hot shoe.  I have, however, used one of the black plastic coated bras version off eBay that are held on with double stick tape.  I found them quite satisfactory.

Hand Grip

The Leica Grip 14496 or the multi function one 14495 are both nice, but expensive.

Other hand grip I found seems not have proper weather seal as per Leica ones.

Just purely a personal preference here, but when I have major concerns about weather sealing I select a different camera.

Finger Loop

It needs to be used in conjunction with Leica Hand grips.

I hate finger loops.

Which one have you been using all the time? any suggestions appreciated.

These are simply my own admittedly biased opinions and may have bearing on your personal situation.

Thanks @sanfokan and @good to be retired. 

I think the best way is to try some half case. There is almost no where to ‘try’ though. 

3 hours ago, Good To Be Retired said:

one of the black plastic coated bras version off eBay that are held on with double stick tape.  I found them quite satisfactory.

Do you still have the link please?

Edited by Shu_downunder

On 4/19/2021 at 3:12 AM, a.noctilux said:

I suggest that you try to use your M246 "nude" for a while with just a lens, then see by yourself if you need some accessories.

I used it "nude" with a small M lens for a while now, and feel like I nearly need nothing. Amazing!
It's just the R lenses that definitely need some thing. 
I think I might try a half case. As it often put the camera outside of the bag, and it can give some protection, even when I'm using a M lens.

I use the Leica 14880 Camera Protector (i.e. half case) on my M246 and M240. Not as elegant as some third party cases, but very functional.  Has a raised area on the (camera)  right side that provides a sure grip. Since I often carry by the neck strap it also provides some bump protection.

They are discontinued, but can still be found.