Question about the EVF's in the Q vs Q2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Heya,

I'm been considering switching up from an M9+28mm to a Q/Q2 and would appreciate some thoughts please.

My main reason is my eyes aren't great and I the M9 can give me eye strain and makes it a little hard to focus, so I'm looking at the Q/Q2.

I think things like resolution would be fine either way, my main concern is the EVF. I'd like an EVF that a) doesn't cause eye strain by being 'low' quality and b) is of sufficient high quality to make the overall shooting experience pleasant. I.e. I don't want to be feeling like it's a drag to use.

I've tried the Q2 in a Leica store a while back and I really liked it so I know it's 'good enough'. I've not tried a Q, and so I'm wondering if it will be good enough also - or not.

As above, there's a minimum level I'm looking to reach with the EVF, so it doesn't cause eye strain, and is sufficient pleasant to use.

Can anyone with experience please offer their suggestions about the EVFs in both cameras, will the Q also be fine, or is the Q2 really where I should be looking?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Q EVF is crap. Using an old Panasonic tech : LCOS consisting of alternating at fast FPS between a red then green then blue images.  
The three images are reflected to a mirror. It is not a direct viewing. 
It is prone to colour tearing (rainbow effect). 
It is not the worst part though. Q EVF has the worst viewfinder optics  : distorted view and highly reflection prone viewing window.

Q2 EVF is top notch :
OLED 3.6MP panel.
Excellent viewing optics with nice eye relief for spectacles wearers.  
120 FPS mode (resolution will dropped a little at this rate)  

If you can get the Q2

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

I have a Q

I have tried a Q2 at the shop

To my 64 year old eyes (with astigmatism's in both eyes)  the Q is 'good enough' I could not discern any difference

Obviously this is a most personal choice...

I would go and ask the shop to use the Q for an hour and see if it is 'good enough' 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, prk60091 said:

I have a Q

I have tried a Q2 at the shop

To my 64 year old eyes (with astigmatism's in both eyes)  the Q is 'good enough' I could not discern any difference

Obviously this is a most personal choice...

I would go and ask the shop to use the Q for an hour and see if it is 'good enough' 

Exactly. This is a wholly subjective assessment given that eyesight is entirely personal. Nobody can assess how well an EVF will suit anybody else. You have to try it especially if your eyesight is non standard.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SuttonWillow said:

Heya,

I'm been considering switching up from an M9+28mm to a Q/Q2 and would appreciate some thoughts please.

My main reason is my eyes aren't great and I the M9 can give me eye strain and makes it a little hard to focus, so I'm looking at the Q/Q2.

I think things like resolution would be fine either way, my main concern is the EVF. I'd like an EVF that a) doesn't cause eye strain by being 'low' quality and b) is of sufficient high quality to make the overall shooting experience pleasant. I.e. I don't want to be feeling like it's a drag to use.

I've tried the Q2 in a Leica store a while back and I really liked it so I know it's 'good enough'. I've not tried a Q, and so I'm wondering if it will be good enough also - or not. essay writer

As above, there's a minimum level I'm looking to reach with the EVF, so it doesn't cause eye strain, and is sufficient pleasant to use.

Can anyone with experience please offer their suggestions about the EVFs in both cameras, will the Q also be fine, or is the Q2 really where I should be looking?

Thanks for any thoughts!

thank you my issue has been solved