SL2-S IBIS with Non-Leica Adapters

Svetozar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Testing an SL2-S with Sigma MC-21 EF-L adapter (firmware 1.3) and Leica R lenses (cinevised with Leitax EF mount - I use these on a RED Komodo so EF needs to stay).  I can confirm that both "Image Stabilization" and "Lens Profiles" menus under the "Camera Settings" are greyed out/disabled with any of my R Summicrons mounted.  I understand the Leitax mount removes passing of the ROM data from the lenses (mid-90s variety), but can't I manually select a lens?   My Canon 24-70 L EF allows this easily.  Elsewhere someone had suggested no issues with a Novoflex adapter.  I would like to keep this adapter, but there seems to be no way to turn on IBIS.   Thoughts?

• Like 1

so with my R>M+M>T adapter i cant choose any R lens in the list..which is irritating, so i just selected the longest M 135/f4 and  used the elmarit 180 with ibis..not bad..very clean results too...

i sent in a request/suggestion to Leica for >>

"definitely needs an option like fuji :

1) IBIS continuous

2) IBIS on shooting only, that will really save the battery life.

the other issue is if i use an R adapter M + M adapter T, the R lenses do NOT show up in the SL2S lens list.

its better if they update the software to simply:

1) autodetect

2) choose from M or R List

3) simply enter focal length"

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I’m a SL owner considering a SL2 upgrade. I shoot mostly Voigtlanders with often a 21/40/75mm lens with me. The 40mm Nokton covers probably 75-80% of the shots and I have the Novoflex adapter. As there are no 40mm Leica M lenses to select for lens registration (at least with the SL), any idea how this would work with the SL2? Just pick a 35 and hope for the best? 

Edited by blessingx

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2021 at 11:53 AM, Svetozar said:

@Photoworks thank you very much for this explanation.

I am not planing to use Leica M lenses but some of Leica R lenses without a pin I would use.

So basically I just choose Leica R equivalent lens and it should work with dumb adapters without a problem ?

It is a strange then that Steve Huff couldn't get the IBIS with his Voigtlander 50mm APO f2 in LEICA SL2-S.

Yes, Huff missed the boat on that statement.  

On 2/20/2021 at 11:53 AM, Svetozar said:

@Photoworks thank you very much for this explanation.

I am not planing to use Leica M lenses but some of Leica R lenses without a pin I would use.

So basically I just choose Leica R equivalent lens and it should work with dumb adapters without a problem ?

It is a strange then that Steve Huff couldn't get the IBIS with his Voigtlander 50mm APO f2 in LEICA SL2-S.

I’m not sure he even added the lens profile to check TBH.  Really disappointed in his video making that claim.  As a soon to be SL2S buyer using non Leica primes it caused me to stop and rethink my decision.