lerrad

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone.  I recently purchased a used Leica r5 kit including the camera, 3 lenses, and a 2x extender.  They are presently out to be checked and cleaned.  I hope to soon have them back so I can begin to learn how to use them.  I also hope to have the support of this forum in my new “adventure”.  I  am older now (73) and have recently suffered a minor stroke. All this is to say that learning doesn’t come as easily as it used to.  I have some Fuji equipment and can still use it to a reasonable degree, and have recently been thinking it might be fun to try a Leica lens on a Fuji camera ( xt2 or xe3) with the right adaptor.  Anyway, I need something to be excited about.

Regards, Darrel

• Like 3

Welcome Darrel! I used the similar R4 for decades, along with the Leicaflex SL I bought in 1969. The R4&5 are nice handling smaller bodies with good meters, and the lenses are very good. These days I use the lenses on a Sony A7 with an inexpensive adapter for digital, and the combination works well. The lenses are a bit large for small mirrorless bodies, but results can be very good.

The R models were abandoned by Leica, and few parts are available, so when problems develop many repairers consider them unrepairable, so I hope yours will stay in good shape for you to enjoy.

The prices of many R lenses have been going up, as many adapt them to other digital cameras, so if the body eventually quits, the lenses will still have value.

I used the SLRs as companions to my Leica rangefinders mainly for longer lenses and closeup work, but they are also excellent for general photography. 
I hope you enjoy the camera.

• 1 month later...

Hi Darrel - I'm new to Leica R as well, and have an R5, and recently added an R7 - why? Because it's been a hell of year (not just the pandemic) and life is short. What lenses did you get? I love the R5, the R7 is even nicer, but takes nothing away. I've put a few rolls through, but haven't developed any yet.  Elias

Hi, Darrel! I too am a recent convert into the Leica R system. Even though I have a nice amount of M bodies and lenses, for some reason, the R8 and R9 cameras always pulled me in... and now, after a recent cataract surgery, I found that I can see well enough to deal with focusing these lenses manually (not to mention handling a serious looking R-body). So, welcome to this forum, where a lot of people have already shown their generosity answering all my questions about the Leica R-system.

On 3/26/2021 at 1:29 AM, solareslarrave said:

Hi, Darrel! I too am a recent convert into the Leica R system. Even though I have a nice amount of M bodies and lenses, for some reason, the R8 and R9 cameras always pulled me in... and now, after a recent cataract surgery, I found that I can see well enough to deal with focusing these lenses manually (not to mention handling a serious looking R-body). So, welcome to this forum, where a lot of people have already shown their generosity answering all my questions about the Leica R-system.