On Watch?

axio

On 2/1/2021 at 12:04 AM, axio said:

Is there a way to suggest this feature to the app dev team?

Back in the beta days of the Fotos app, there was an option in the app to send feedback. I’m not sure if that’s been removed or not. I haven’t used the app in a while.

There still is a path from Fotos directly to customer support, which reviews the complaint mail and forwards it to the Fotos team (or teams?).

It is an interesting suggestion.  There are two types of things that Fotos does for you, one is updating local time and GPS position over BTLE and the second is using the WiFi, which BTLE initializes, to review pictures and provide simple remote operation.  You would think they could be separated, and then something like a digital wireless Watch could do just the first things. But I think at present the two functions are very scrambled together, so they might think this is a terrible idea.  But it is not, it is a fine idea....  Of course, at present only the L-mount cameras and the Q have BlueTooth.  (Maybe some of the smaller consumer cams as well, but the Ms do not.)

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

8 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

There still is a path from Fotos directly to customer support, which reviews the complaint mail and forwards it to the Fotos team (or teams?).

It is an interesting suggestion.  There are two types of things that Fotos does for you, one is updating local time and GPS position over BTLE and the second is using the WiFi, which BTLE initializes, to review pictures and provide simple remote operation.  You would think they could be separated, and then something like a digital wireless Watch could do just the first things. But I think at present the two functions are very scrambled together, so they might think this is a terrible idea.  But it is not, it is a fine idea....  Of course, at present only the L-mount cameras and the Q have BlueTooth.  (Maybe some of the smaller consumer cams as well, but the Ms do not.)

I think I would like to have both time sync and GPS position sent over BLE from the Apple Watch. For me, I normally have my watch’s GPS on when I’m out hiking so it doesn’t use any more power than if GPS positions as not being sent, at least in my use case. Also, when the watch is within BLE range of an iPhone, it actually uses the GPS receiver on the phone most of the time because there is more power reserve on the iPhone than on the Apple Watch.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why do you have both a Watch and an iPhone?  Is it for the extra discreteness of checking your watch when a meeting runs too long?  A serious iPhone user seems to have it out all the time, no need for a watch.  I also notice that our students seldom wear watches.  Rolexes or Timexes (depending on your cost preference) may be a Thing for a different generation. 

I am never a phone (that shaped like a slab of chocolate) person. The geotagging feature of the watch would be enough for me to get the watch. If I were to wear a watch, then I will be happily leave the phone behind at home/work and use the watch (coupled to a hearing aid) for calling.

22 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Why do you have both a Watch and an iPhone?  Is it for the extra discreteness of checking your watch when a meeting runs too long?  A serious iPhone user seems to have it out all the time, no need for a watch.  I also notice that our students seldom wear watches.  Rolexes or Timexes (depending on your cost preference) may be a Thing for a different generation. 

If I’m putting around inside the house, I normally have my phone on a table somewhere rather than in my pocket. The watch gives me notifications on emails, calls, etc... so I only grab my phone when I need to. The watch also tracks heart rate, steps, etc which is nice to see longterm trends and helps to catch subtle changes that might go unnoticed otherwise. Resting heart rate is a good indicator of general health and an elevated resting heart rate usually indicate that you’re about to get sick or there are some underlying conditions that should get checked out.

For outdoors, the watch is nice in that I can glance at it to get time, notifications, and if I’m hiking or climbing I can get distance and elevation information without the need to pull out my phone. Often times, I just want to get a sense of what time it is, how much time I have before sunset, how far do I have to go, how much elevation I need to gain, etc... so a quick flick of the wrist gives me that information without having to dig into my pocket for the phone. Also, the watch tracks heart rate, speed, etc. so you can get a sense of your fitness over time as well.

Edited by beewee

• 1 month later...
Am 31.1.2021 um 12:56 schrieb axio:

Does the Fotos app work on the Watch for geotagging?

To be honest: This is a great idea and i'd love to see it coming up in the future.
Since I'm enjoying the luxury of not having my phone on me all the time this sounds like a great feature for me.
Whenever I'm outdoor doing stuff or even in a train or just on the move I don't like to pull out my phone.

Ps: Did someone write  the dev team yet or nah? I'm just curious.

14 hours ago, Like-A said:

To be honest: This is a great idea and i'd love to see it coming up in the future.
Since I'm enjoying the luxury of not having my phone on me all the time this sounds like a great feature for me.
Whenever I'm outdoor doing stuff or even in a train or just on the move I don't like to pull out my phone.

Ps: Did someone write  the dev team yet or nah? I'm just curious.

I’ve sent the request, but I am sure more voices will help.

i am not at all a phone-person. When I have my digital Leica, there is no reason to bring a phone anymore.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb axio:

I’ve sent the request, but I am sure more voices will help.

i am not at all a phone-person. When I have my digital Leica, there is no reason to bring a phone anymore.

It is the nowadays luxury to not have my mobile phone with me all day long. So I've gotcha.