Your favorite lens for 2021? :)

shirubadanieru

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

It’s not out yet though nor confirmed to be released by Leica (despite the rumors), interesting they offered you one? Is it an official leica store?

Official Leica store they offered it to me in silver or black telling me the silver would be twice the price around 14k. 

1 minute ago, Steven said:

Is it a good lens, should I get it ? How does it fit in the Leica history ? 

You are prepared to spend $8k or $14k on a lens and not know what you are buying and based on an answer here?

Your approach will not be shared by many here.

34 minutes ago, pedaes said:

You are prepared to spend $8k or $14k on a lens and not know what you are buying and based on an answer here?

To be fair there are a lot of people who buy Leicas who don't know a 35mm from a 50mm or an M2 from an M10 so I'll give credit where its due (to the extent it is due?)

Though some people severely under-utilise search functions of the forum and on the web in general..

@Steven My view - > "short answer" is optically the lens is not a "good lens" by modern standards and the original is really a collectors lens. Some people say the 50mm 1.2 AA performs better than the 50mm f1, some prefer its look, but with so few copies around I've never touched one myself and never shot them side by side, though there are some comparisons on the web. If you like more vintage glass it's probably for you. I can't say I'm not tempted by a black one (or silver!), but the amount of money locked into a lens I won't use much (50mm, collector-ish lens) is rather off-putting so I think i'll stick with my f1 instead. I think.

To be honest you've been chopping, changing and buying Leica gear so often you should just buy it to get it out of your system and see if it's for you, since it seems you can afford it. Not many people are in your position, so I see it as a good thing (life is short), and hey it makes your local Leica store happy, dripping rumours and planned products ahead of time (good tidbits for the casual observer like me).

Edited by chasdfg
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, pedaes said:

Why not, if I can afford it and its a collector lens that won't lose value ? I can always change my mind later.. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, pedaes said:

Also: I once bought an (overpriced) Leica M6 with an (overpriced) summilux Pre Fle in a store. I walked in on a summer day, knew nothing about it, but was attracted to it. 

Guess what, it changed my life. It changes the way I take photos, the way I see photography even. I am now, less than a year later (it was last may) fully committed to Leica. M7 + Q2 + M10P + M10D + SL2S. 

For the anecdote, while I sold the (black) Pre Fle, to exchange it against a more rare chrome version that has less focus shift (something I had never heard about or noticed before this forum), it turns out that the Pre Fle is still my favourite lens of all times, all systems, all focal lengths included. See, sometimes a bit of faith and a bit of luck can make things happen. If you don't try, you don't move forward. 

Lastly, who would have thought less than a year ago, than in January 2021 I'd log in twice a day to a camera forum, to discuss lens formulas with some 'lovely' geeks that are almost all 50 years older than me, and that I would reach 1000 posts myself ?! not me!  Leica Forever ! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chasdfg said:

To be fair there are a lot of people who buy Leicas who don't know a 35mm from a 50mm or an M2 from an M10 so I'll give credit where its due (to the extent it is due?)

Though some people severely under-utilise search functions of the forum and on the web in general..

@Steven My view - > "short answer" is optically the lens is not a "good lens" by modern standards and the original is really a collectors lens. Some people say the 50mm 1.2 AA performs better than the 50mm f1, some prefer its look, but with so few copies around I've never touched one myself and never shot them side by side, though there are some comparisons on the web. If you like more vintage glass it's probably for you. I can't say I'm not tempted by a black one (or silver!), but the amount of money locked into a lens I won't use much (50mm, collector-ish lens) is rather off-putting so I think i'll stick with my f1 instead. I think.

To be honest you've been chopping, changing and buying Leica gear so often you should just buy it to get it out of your system and see if it's for you, since it seems you can afford it. Not many people are in your position, so I see it as a good thing (life is short), and hey it makes your local Leica store happy, dripping rumours and planned products ahead of time (good tidbits for the casual observer like me).

Thank you for the great information and the great advice.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 7:40 PM, fabior said:

I can confirm that noctilux 50mm f1.2 AA is officially coming as I have already given the deposit to the leica store to reserve my copy. it should be delivered shortly.... I hope !

May i ask which shop it was? Some Leica stores said they don't take any preorders for non-exist lens...

On 1/24/2021 at 11:33 AM, Steven said:

On the lens mounted on the m10m. You teased us! 

Apologies for making you wait, but here they are 😃

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

So far, ( trying not to blow any more Leica $$$$ this year.....we'll see how that goes! ), the favourite recent purchase has been the humble Summarit 35mm 2.4. It is an excellent lens, it's compact, a plus that I do like on with a M body, fast enough given the ASA capabilities of my M10's and with very good resolution. Just this morning I'm printing a heavily cropped couple of shots made with the Summarit on my M10-D to full A2 size and the definition is really good, equal to my Summicrons and my sole Summilux, ( 35mm ASPH ).

8 minutes ago, evikne said:

I am sure my most used lens in 2021 will be my new 35 mm Summilux pre-ASPH v2. It has been glued to my camera since I got it. The aperture ring also works a "character knob": Just turn to adjust the desired balance between dreaminess and sharpness. 😄

I have two pre asph coming my way. Can’t wait. A v1 and a v2! 

1 hour ago, evikne said:

Is your plan to keep the best and sell the other (eventually both), if it don't live up to the expectations?

My plan is to keep both. One is a modified steel rim; used to be with googles, now without, so it focuses at 0,65, and it looks nice on my black m10p! 

The second is the same that yours, a black v2, no infinity lock. I had found one with the infinity lock (early v2) and really loved it, but it has a little chip on the front element so I was hesitant. 

cant wait to have them both in my hands. 

• Like 1