Your favorite lens for 2021? :)

shirubadanieru

40 minutes ago, Steven said:

That lens is tempting me so much. I have the money ready for the 28 lux, but for some reason I keep having dirty dreams of the elmarit. Cant explain it. 

If I had the money in hand for a 28 Summilux, it would already be halfway here. 

I do have a 28 Elmarit, and it is truly excellent.  It is a keeper, even when/if I eventually get a 28 Summilux M.

I say get the 28 Summilux now and add a 28 Elmarit later.  That would (IMHO) be the ultimate two lens 28mm setup.  All the bases would be covered at that focal length.

Well i went crazy and bought a 50mm summicrom version 5 in silver recently and looking forward to using it in 2021.

So im told its a late walter mandler design and i am hoping it will get me back into the 50mm and 58mm lens direction that i always used with my minolta x-700..

I read somewhere that the former chief operating officer at minolta was a massive fan of mandler so in my head its a romantic return to the old days.

My main lens right now is the zeiss 35mm f1.4 distagon[90% of pics]  but i do have the mandler canada tele-elmarit thin version.

5 hours ago, pippy said:

Thanks for the reply, Brad. Much appreciated. Interesting to read your opinions on the filter. I won't have one when the lens arrives so I'll see how I get on! Nice photograph of the Moka! And I recognise the 4x4 image from an earlier post so am sure I've noticed your images before - and I mean that in a good way!

Philip.

I’m glad to be able to help. 

I don’t know your filter preferences. I like the B+W brand of filters. This lens takes 41mm screw-in filters which are kinda hard to find. The Leitz filters are around but, of course, they can be a bit expensive and in questionable condition. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My most recent lens is a Zeiss 28mm f-2.8, which I think will outlast the "honeymoon" period. Always liked the focal length for my style of photography.

A lens that I use more than I thought is the Voigtlander 15mm Aspherical (version 2 non-retrofocus M-mount since I use film). I like getting close and showing a lot of depth to my images, so it works well.

My third most-used is a 90mm Elmarit. Great for isolating subjects.

Least-used are my 50mm and 135mm Elmars. Glad I have them, as they do get used for some things. Also have a 21mm Voigtlander that doesn't get used as much since buying the 15. These three are in a bag with my M3, the first three are in a bag with my M2.

Edited by Axelwik

11 hours ago, BradS said:

...I don’t know your filter preferences. I like the B+W brand of filters. This lens takes 41mm screw-in filters which are kinda hard to find. The Leitz filters are around but, of course, they can be a bit expensive and in questionable condition...

I must say I do like Leitz filters but I will certainly be open to choosing from other manufacturers. I did have a look through the usual UK sources when I decided to get the lens and was not totally surprised to see that to get a Leitz filter and a XOONS hood would cost 75% of the price I paid for the lens. There's even a hopeful person asking $210 for the 43mm lens cap. Crazy prices.

'Generic' is sounding quite likely!

Philip.

Edited by pippy

I have to update my original answer actually ahah after searching for the holy grail of 35mm I finally found it, so sold everything else & just kept the below for this year (& hopefully many more to come).

50 summicron rigid (by far by favorite summicron 50 out of all versions including APO)

35 summilux steel rim (was torn between this or summicron 8e, but in the end I love this lens design & its dreamy look wide open. From f2 it performs as well as the 8e)

50 elmar f3.5 red dial (the grandfather of all leica lens, love its size & rendering both on digital & film. Out of the three lens it's also the most flare resistant).

Love seeing everyone's posts & unique tastes :)

5 minutes ago, shirubadanieru said:

I have to update my original answer actually ahah after searching for the holy grail of 35mm I finally found it, so sold everything else & just kept the below for this year (& hopefully many more to come).

50 summicron rigid (by far by favorite summicron 50 out of all versions including APO)

35 summilux steel rim (was torn between this or summicron 8e, but in the end I love this lens design & its dreamy look wide open. From f2 it performs as well as the 8e)

50 elmar f3.5 red dial (the grandfather of all leica lens, love its size & rendering both on digital & film. Out of the three lens it's also the most flare resistant).

Love seeing everyone's posts & unique tastes :)

Big twist, and bold statement regarding the 35 holy grail. Can I ask why it is ? and could you give us the lens reference to make sure we speak about the same ? 

1 minute ago, Steven said:

Big twist, and bold statement regarding the 35 holy grail. Can I ask why it is ? and could you give us the lens reference to make sure we speak about the same ? 

Ahah @Steven it’s the holy grail for me of course, there’s people that it might as well be the Summilux ASPH 35mm (great lens!). 

For me a few reasons:
- By far the smallest summilux lens in Leica’s lineup
- To my eyes, the most beautiful lens design out of all 35mm lens
- Wide open, its rendering is magical / dreamy (unlike any other 35mm lens) & from f2 it renders very similarly to the Summicron 8 elements (my second favorite 35mm)
- Stopped down from f2.8 it becomes very sharp, so it’s like you have two lenses in one small package
- Probably the hardest 35mm lens to find in good condition given the low production number (so I was really happy when I found one that had clean glass)
- Minus is of course the price....and that’s why I sold all my other gear to pay for it and to also force me to only use the lens I love the most on a regular basis :)

Again just my thoughts, I love Leica lens from the 50/60s above anything else, not only in terms of design but also output. 

The lens I’m referring to is this one by the way https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/35mm_f/1.4_Summilux_I

On 1/14/2021 at 6:29 PM, colint544 said:

Do you know, I think it might well have been something I read on this esteemed forum, by one of the more knowledgeable contributors. I can't remember who, or on which thread it was. 

But here's the link to Peter Turnley's Instagram. It's heavy on the black and white, mostly shot on his 35 FLE

Thanks for that link Colin

Some lovely images there.

Ernst

On 1/14/2021 at 11:07 AM, Steven said:

I like Turnley. 

Would love a link if you have one. 

Peter is friends with Mike Johnston, editor of the TOP site.  If you enter Peter’s name in the TOP search box, it will bring up loads of articles, book discussions and former print sales. He doesn’t like to talk much about gear, but we know that he has used film and digital M’s (including M9, M10 and Monochrom), and while he likes 35mm, he has used 28 and 50 over the years, but likes the intimacy of getting closer with the wider FOV.  He uses a third party printer who converts his files to silver prints.

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html

Jeff