Your favorite lens for 2021? :)

shirubadanieru

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, Steven said:

More than the double A? 

Utterly different from the AA. It renders beautifully wide open, with an almost painting like quality. It's not razor sharp and 3D like the AA.

When stopped down, it's as good as a Summicron.

Ernst

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

May i ask why you sold the ZM 35 1.4?

At the time (I was an early adopter) I only had film Leicas and Sony E Mount. I decided the ZM was too big and heavy for Leica M. It felt very out of place on an M6. Great lens though. I used it quite a bit on Sony too. I got a 35 Summilux ASPH and didn't need both.

On 1/3/2021 at 2:48 AM, shirubadanieru said:

To kick start 2021 I thought of asking everyone here what will you be using this year as your main gear. What are your top 1~3 lenses that you’ll be sticking with?

Too many to choose from but if I continue the habit I learned in 2020 - take one camera and one lens with you and go out with just that combo :

(Vintage look)

- M10 with my Nikkor W 28mm 3.5 in LTM mount from the early 60’s

- M10 Monochrom with my Thambar 90mm 2.2 from 1934

(Macro)

- SL2 with the APO Macro Elmarit R 100mm 2.8 (although non an M lens)

(on the other hand I wonder if I should maybe concentrate on ultra narrow DOF)

- Nocti 0.95 on my Monochrom.  I never tried it I must admit although I have the combo.  I wonder what clean 25k ISO B&W from the Monochrom with a wide open would Nocti would make possible

- Sigma 35mm 1.2 DG Art on the SL2 (again off topic because not an M lens)

Conclusion : no mainstream lens / camera combination for me in 2021, but let’s go wild and start the roaring 20’s.  And btw wishing all readers the best for the New Year !

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Stef63 said:

Too many to choose from but if I continue the habit I learned in 2020 - take one camera and one lens with you and go out with just that combo :

(Vintage look)

- M10 with my Nikkor W 28mm 3.5 in LTM mount from the early 60’s

- M10 Monochrom with my Thambar 90mm 2.2 from 1934

(Macro)

- SL2 with the APO Macro Elmarit R 100mm 2.8 (although non an M lens)

(on the other hand I wonder if I should maybe concentrate on ultra narrow DOF)

- Nocti 0.95 on my Monochrom.  I never tried it I must admit although I have the combo.  I wonder what clean 25k ISO B&W from the Monochrom with a wide open would Nocti would make possible

- Sigma 35mm 1.2 DG Art on the SL2 (again off topic because not an M lens)

Conclusion : no mainstream lens / camera combination for me in 2021, but let’s go wild and start the roaring 20’s.  And btw wishing all readers the best for the New Year !

Nice! How do you like the Nikkor 28mm? Have you compared it to the Summaron 28mm? 

19 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Nice! How do you like the Nikkor 28mm? Have you compared it to the Summaron 28mm? 

No I don’t have the summaron but it’s night and day different from my 28 2.8 elmarit.  If I would have to compare the look with another lens I have, I would say the 35 summicron IV comes close.   Soft at the edges, nice “glow” and still tack sharp in the center and when stopped down.  One annoying thing with this lens : it’s so small and due to the tiny focusing tap I often end up with a finger blocking a part of the picture.  Stupid I know.

• Thanks 1

My go to gear is

m10, a7rIII

28 Summilux, 50 Noct f1, 75 Summilux

I hope to be able to actually go out and shoot this coming Spring and Fall.

Here's some of my favorites.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

I just checked LR to confirm what I was shooting with the most in 2021.

I'm surprised it turns out to be the Leica Macro-Elmar 90mm f4.  It wouldn't be so without the colapsable feature. I never used a normal 90mm in the past.

Since buying it last year it has been used for 1/4 of my shots, and 80% this year. Skewed by a project of shooting construction where I can't walk up right next to them with a 50mm.

I too quite often go out with just one lens, even though my three lens kit is designed for easy carry.

Jack

• Like 6

On 1/20/2021 at 8:22 AM, LeicaS2 said:

I just checked LR to confirm what I was shooting with the most in 2021.

I'm surprised it turns out to be the Leica Macro-Elmar 90mm f4.  It wouldn't be so without the colapsable feature. I never used a normal 90mm in the past.

Since buying it last year it has been used for 1/4 of my shots, and 80% this year. Skewed by a project of shooting construction where I can't walk up right next to them with a 50mm.

I too quite often go out with just one lens, even though my three lens kit is designed for easy carry.

Jack

👍Very responsive/intuitive lens for a reasonable distance insight of governance/supervision/documentary purposes and it's relatively agile indeed.

It is too early, in what is still a lock-down/pandemic year, to be certain of anything, but I can guess that the following will be favored for most shooting, in no specific order:

Leica Summilux-M 50mm ASPH.

Zeiss ZM 1,4/35mm.

Zeiss ZM 4,5/21mm, on Type 246 Monochrom, only, due to the color shift when used for color images on digital cameras.

I favor my Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, for images of people; mostly people known to me. It is the lens that drew me into the Leica-M system. The Zeiss 35mm and 21mm lenses are for general photography, and landscapes. I foresee much “attempted”  landscape shooting, in 2021.

If I happen to find myself traveling to cities, I might rather use a lower-profile 50mm, such as a Summicron-M or Elmarit-M, and might use my Summaron 28mm, for its compactness. As of this moment, however, I am not planning urban travels, that would involve “street photography,” in 2021.

In the past ten days I have bombarded the forum with many images taken with three different bodies (M10M, M240, A7III) - but only one lens was involved.  A 50mm Noctilux f1 v4.  Yes, it is the latest arrival so inevitably I've spent lots of time with it as I try to learn its way & foibles.  Will it remain top of the heap for the rest of the year?  That depends very much on the kind of photographic scenarios I might find myself in - certainly there will be times when in 50mm terms the Summilux-M ASPH makes more sense.  Strolls in the local countryside merit a 35mm (Summaron f2.8 or Nokton III f1.2) and with the Marlborough Downs just up the road, the 21mm SEM is sure of being chosen.  So, as the saying goes it is very much a case of  'horses for courses'.  But for the moment the M10M & Noctilux remain an inseparable pairing, even when playing about indoors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

since i'm on the list to buy the reissue of noctilux f1,2 AA i think this will be the lens i will use the most in 2021.I am very excited to have and know this old and new historic lens. I will definitely take some time to observe its behavior in different situations using it with the M bodies I have. M3 / M6 for film, M9M for black and white and M10D for color. Certainly a stimulus to photograph even more in this difficult period. I believe and hope that it is now a matter of a few days before leica launches the new re-edition of the noctilux f1.2 AA on the market. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fabior said:

since i'm on the list to buy the reissue of noctilux f1,2 AA i think this will be the lens i will use the most in 2021.I am very excited to have and know this old and new historic lens. I will definitely take some time to observe its behavior in different situations using it with the M bodies I have. M3 / M6 for film, M9M for black and white and M10D for color. Certainly a stimulus to photograph even more in this difficult period. I believe and hope that it is now a matter of a few days before leica launches the new re-edition of the noctilux f1.2 AA on the market. 

I was offered by my Leica store to purchase this lens last week. I turned it down because im not really a 50 user and I know nothing about the 50s... 

5 hours ago, Steven said:

I was offered by my Leica store to purchase this lens last week. I turned it down because im not really a 50 user and I know nothing about the 50s... 

It’s not out yet though nor confirmed to be released by Leica (despite the rumors), interesting they offered you one? Is it an official leica store?