Sand / Grinding Noise in Focus Ring - Q2

killjon

I’m sorry to say your camera likely is in need of an expensive repair. This has been covered before on the forum. It is typically not covered under warranty. Bummer. The Q2 is weather sealed, but not against such harsh environments as blowing sand. You should contact Leica service. 

I’ve taken photos on the beach and in slot canyons. One must protect the camera when not in use. Some people use plastic bags and only take the camera out briefly to take a photo. 

Is your Q2 insured? That might help offset the costs. 

I hope I’m wrong about what your camera needs  

Good luck. Let us know what you learn. 

Edited by Leica Guy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trankster said:

Don't flame, but I would try a little self-service first before sending for repair.  Try using a blower pressurized blower and rinse gently with water to see if that clears the grit.  Good luck.  

Great suggestion. I should have said that, but you beat me to it. 👏👏👏

I hope it helps his situation. A single grain of sand could make the lens feel “rough”. Maybe some air could free it up to fall out. Hope so. 

32 minutes ago, Leica Guy said:

Great suggestion. I should have said that, but you beat me to it. 👏👏👏

I hope it helps his situation. A single grain of sand could make the lens feel “rough”. Maybe some air could free it up to fall out. Hope so. 

I would think suction would work better - the blower might end just pushing the silica further in...

OP, have you tried engaging the macro mode? Then use a rocket blower and a clean cloth  (maybe slight moisturized with lens cleaner solution and wipe-off.

The other bad thing about those pressurized air blowers is that they often are low quality and end blowing impurities everywhere. Does not matter on a keyboard, but that's one the reasons they are not recommended either to use for cleaning sensors.

Maybe your local repair store has a clever idea that actually works...

( reminder to use a rain shell if taking mine to the beach or any desert and avoid asking for help to M104me)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Same happened to me after a trip to the beach. Naive of me to think weather sealing would protect it. But it soon cleared of its own volition. I have to think that just a single grain in the wrong place can feel a lot worse than it really is. A bit like M10 For Me on this thread. So, I wouldn’t sweat it. Good luck!

• Like 1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Trankster:

Try using a blower pressurized blower and rinse gently with water to see if that clears the grit.

If you blow inside you will push any debris further inside, in case use suction to pull the debris aout of the lens.
You may attach a smaller hose to a vacum cleaner and try to suck around the ring where the dust/sand entered.
If it does not work i would leav it as it is, the price to repair it is too steep and as long it create no further damage get used to the grinding feeling.
You don't want to spend big money to have it fixed and then something else happen to the lens and you need to pay again.

Chris

25 minutes ago, PhotoCruiser said:

If you blow inside you will push any debris further inside, in case use suction to pull the debris aout of the lens.
You may attach a smaller hose to a vacum cleaner and try to suck around the ring where the dust/sand entered.
If it does not work i would leav it as it is, the price to repair it is too steep and as long it create no further damage get used to the grinding feeling.
You don't want to spend big money to have it fixed and then something else happen to the lens and you need to pay again.

Chris

And it may resolve itself by the sand working out over time.

• 2 years later...

How did this play out for you? It happened to me as well. My Q2 wasn't exposed to water or severe weather but, like you, a wind gust near the beach was the culprit. The Leica literature says "weather sealed for working in trying environments" but clearly being outside on a windy day is a problem.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I lucked out. After a visit to the Leica store for service, I remembered that I bought the extended warranty when I purchased from B&H.  I sent my camera in a few months before the warranty expired.  They shipped it Leica for OEM repair. It took nearly two months but my original camera came back working like new.

• Like 3