M10 P: "Focus Button" What? Why?

Stephen.s1

I'll mess with your suggestions (thanks!), but I get magnification in LV by simply twisting the focus ring.  My rear dial will always be for trimming exposure whilst shooting.

Perhaps Leica will swap that useless button for an image stabilization system...   Yeah sure...

Again, thanks for your thoughts and assistance.

46 minutes ago, Stephen.s1 said:

I'll mess with your suggestions (thanks!), but I get magnification in LV by simply twisting the focus ring.  My rear dial will always be for trimming exposure whilst shooting.

Perhaps Leica will swap that useless button for an image stabilization system...   Yeah sure...

Again, thanks for your thoughts and assistance.

Yep that’s the other option. Personally I like to press the button then I get the option to magnify or not

• Like 1

I have mine set so that the rear dial is exposure comp, but if I have LV or the evf on and press the front button, then it magnifies for focus, so I still use the rear dial for exposure comp and get to choose when to magnify for focus assist, then the rear dial is usable for focusing etc. So it’s far from useless. It’s actually the only real customizable button on the m10 😀

• Like 1

Yea. I honestly think the m10 series is the most perfect camera I've ever used. The camera just gets out of the way, a joy to use. I have a hard time seeing how they make it any better. I'm not a big proponent of image stabilization in the M where I use mainly short lenses, but maybe that's the only thing left, the ergonomics are perfect.

8 minutes ago, geesbert said:

It's a lost opportunity that this button can't be assigned to other functions in combination with the thumb wheel. 

Simplicity would be lost.

So many threads from new users over years for this twin functions with this only button 😉

I think that there is another function (not clearly "marked" when in "B" setting, pushing the button can add a choice of timers on LCD).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip regarding the "B " Setting.

Im not sure I agree completely that the ability to assign other functions to this button would compromise simplicity.

Here is a simple scenario - I am a typical manual only M shooter who doesn't use exposure compensation.

I also don't use the available  EVF so for me, both the thumbwheel and the button are useless.

But I would love to be able to tap the front button when needed and instantly switch from DNG Only capture to Jpg Monochrome Only capture. Tap the button again when done and I'm back in DNG only capture. 

Now THAT would be cool!!

30 minutes ago, erniethemilk said:

Mine doesn’t do that - would you know how to implement that, would be rather useful for some of the stuff I shoot. 

I have plain M10.

Easy...

Put the shutter speed button to "B".

Look at rear LCD screen, push the front "focus" button few seconds until you see "B" 8s 12s etc.

you can select with the wheel or arrow ">" ...

"select" then "INFO" with same center button (twice) to see which value is set.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

I have plain M10.

Easy...

Put the shutter speed button to "B".

Look at rear LCD screen, push the front "focus" button few seconds until you see "B" 8s 12s etc.

you can select with the wheel or arrow ">" ...

"select" then "INFO" with same center button (twice) to see which value is set.

Thanks. I’ll give it a try. 

• 1 year later...

How is the front button supposed to be used.  I have the wheel on the back set to exposure compensation.  Does the focus button only enlarge the Visoflex, or also the rear screen in Live View?

I ordered the clear "bumper" as described here in the forum.  Makes the button MUCH easier to find.