Noise Sensor / IBIS

sebastianruehl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone, 

just unpacked my new Leica SL2. Dream came true. 

If the camera is switched off the floating IBIS system is very very noisy. It bumps inside the camera quite a bit. It just sounds strange for a Leica with this built quality. I know it's floating and it is one of the many reasons why I bought this camera, but is it maybe toooo floating? :) 

I assume that everything is normal since when the camera is turned on the crackling and bumping around noise is gone... 

Does anyone has similar experience and can assure me, that everything is fine and I do not need to bring it back? 

Thanks very much and best regards!

Sebastian

My SL2 does make some noise when switched off and when shaking it vigorously. Most cameras with IBIS do not lock the sensor when switching off. 
I have not noticed the noise until now. You have to shake the camera quite a bit, and it is not noticeable in my regular use.

1 hour ago, masjah said:

Oh dear - I thought I'd read somewhere that the sensor is locked when the camera is switched off. I read it in an article about cleaning IBIS sensors safely. This really does need an authoritative answer.

All the recommendations on this forum, including mine :), say to turn off IBIS and turn on camera in order to immobilize the sensor as much as possible when wet cleaning.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, SrMi said:

All the recommendations on this forum, including mine :), say to turn off IBIS and turn on camera in order to immobilize the sensor as much as possible when wet cleaning.

OK, apologies for my faulty recollection.

But this begs the question, if the camera is switched on, with IBIS switched off,  does it make a noise when shaken. Let me stress that I intend this question to be a hypothetical one, because, purely personally speaking, I wouldn't care to shake my SL2 vigorously for the sake of it, just to see if I could hear a rattle. Needless to say, I'm NOT requesting those who HAVE  shaken their cameras vigorously to repeat the exercise.

11 hours ago, SrMi said:

Just to confirm my senior moment mis-recollection - I found where I'd read it and checked - sorry again for getting it wrong!