the cl twins

gteague

Advertisement (gone after registration)

alas, the very pretty rollei 35s oak laurel edition was a bust. it arrived without a cover for the battery and after i extended the lens, it just locked up and the focus ring wouldn't turn and i didn't want to try to force it, so i returned for a refund. but to take its place i got one much more useful to me, a film cl. as you know, it has an /m/ mount and with my adapter i can swap lenses between it and the digital cl.  you knew i ordered a 40/2 earlier and it came in the same day and is as minty as the body is. it's like a pancake lens even compared with the 50 summicron and it's hard to focus until i learn how to use that tab.

i can't find the other wein battery i bought for my sekonic meter, but i did get two more of them today and put one in the new cl.  i waited 30 minutes then set shutter to 1/60th and asa to 100 and hit the battery check button and the indicator is at the very top of the notch. i hope that's at maximum and not at minimum, but will have to wait to see which way the trend is. we're about to get rain and i doubt i'll go out and live fire with film today but what i am going to do is put the 40/2 on my digital cl and test it. but i'm glad to see the sign of life from the meter.

i realized i could test it real fast. i set it to asa200 (i got 4 rolls of fuji 200 and will start with that) and 1/60th at 2.8 and the indicator was exactly in the center. i took my digital cl to the same spot and it gave the exact same reading. i heard the film cl meter is a little 'spotty', but i haven't finished the manual yet. very pleased it seems to have a good meter although to keep it accurate i suspect i'll be buying the wein batteries unless i can find the adaptor. 

i sort of eyeballed the distance the rangefinder was returning and they seemed ok. i only have one eye and it has astigmatism, so /m/ cameras have never worked for me--i tried like 5 of them without success. but i ordered a very compact laser distance meter and if i can't come to terms with the rf i can manually set distances and really the only issues will be under 10, maybe 15'. and i can use hyperfocal distance although i've never had any luck with any camera using even a strict CoF and i don't trust it to yield a photo even close to being in focus.

here's an iphone shot of the lecia cl 'twins' with the tl 23/2 on the digital one. and i took the new sign i've been using to test every camera lens combo i have for sharpness at f2.0 and the 40/2 rokkor seems every bit as sharp as the 50 summicron although i did have the exp-comp set to +1 and spoiled all the shots.

oh, and when i mounted the 40/2 on the digital cl, there's no lens preset for it. what do i use? one of the 35mm's?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by gteague
  • Like 1

Problem with the CL it corrects for distortion so better avoid the 35/2 asph profile which has some pincushion distortion as opposed to the (slight) barrel one of the 40/2. The 35/2 pre-asph profile does better as pre-asph 35/2 lenses have more or less the same barrel distortion as the 40/2. Crops pics a bit though.  

Edit: The 35/1.4 pre-asph profile chosen by ynp doesn't correct for distortion at all but doesn't crop either. 

Edited by lct
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, gteague said:

the shot i posted doesn't seem to show any distortion, either pincushion or barrel, for the 40/2. so just to let me certain, i should use the 35/1.4 pre-asph profile if i don't want cropping or distortion correction, right? /guy

Exactly or don't use any lens profile if you prefer.

Edited by lct
  • Like 1