nokton f1.2, 35mm vs 40mm

surfmanjoe

1 hour ago, FrozenInTime said:

The 40/1.2 is a lens I'm very impressed with; both wide open and stopped down. 

The 35/1.2 is discontinued, so it seems reasonable to expect an updated version within the year ( perhaps sharper wide open ).

They appear to have added a floating lens element to the new 1,4/21, so perhaps that will be included in the next fast 35 iteration. The 1,2/40 has significant focus shift, not nearly as pronounced on the 1,2/50.

Have the first version of the 35f1.2 and it is a wonderful lens.  However, it is big and heavy for a M mount optic.  I don't have the 40f1.2 but do own the 50f1.2 which was apparently designed by the same team at Voightlander and it is a lens to die for.  If you don't mind the size, the 35f1.2 is great but I find myself using the 35f2.8 C Biogon since it is small and sharp, especially as a travel lens for the MP240 or M2.

Have you looked on Camerquest's web site?  Since he is one of two US importers for Voightlander lenses, he has a LOT of information of current lenses.

Edited by ktmrider2

15 hours ago, gregor_24 said:

I had the 35mm/1.2 and for me it was to soft at 1.2 so i never used the lens.

If I have a 1.2 lens I will use it wide open and not stopped down.

Not my experience at all - I find the V1 to be sharp wide open, though perhaps there is some sample variation. However, big and heavy as ktmrider2 says.

I had the 35/1.2 v2 and really liked the look. Sharp, slightly more classic signature wide open. Just too big and heavy for me. I now had the 40/1.2 and find it sharper wide open. I don't detect any focus shift but then I'm not a lens tester. I struggle with the 50mm frame lines and am thinking of shaving it down to get the 35mm. The 40 is a wonderful lens. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 7:22 AM, cp995 said:

Better try it yourself, before ignoring this little gem ...

Because you said so, I ordered the 40mm.  😃

I've just tested it @0.7m and @ f/1.2 it has about an inch back focus.  For example if you aim on the H key on your keyboard, the H key is barely in focus but the N is more in focus (@cp995 is yours doing that too?).  Stepping up to f/2 has corrected the issue, I don't see significant focus shift yet.  The back focus also gets better when subject is about 2m away which my usual distant in this focal length. 

To answer the OP, I have owned the 35mm 1.2v2 before, hate it sold it, and now this 40mm is a much better lens IMO.

• Thanks 1