Any reasons to get a 45mm if you got the 35mm?

setuporg

I think this question has nothing to do with the lens and everything to do with whether the field of view that the focal length gives you is one that you can work with. I’ve always found that the FOV that equates to 28mm (which is what the 35mm gives you) is too wide for me. I had a Ricoh GRIII for a while and found I cropped almost every single image I wanted to keep (the Ricoh has the same FOV as 28mm on a 35mm frame.)

Given how big and heavy the 45mm lens is you’d better be sure that you want to use FOV the lens offers otherwise I suspect it will sit on the shelf rather a lot. 

Edited by geetee1972
  • Like 2

I alternated between 35+70 and 45+100/120 for a while and ultimately found the former more generally useful, not to mention more nimble and less costly.

the 45 is technically superb and a better lens than the 35 in terms of wide open resolving power (albeit at f:2.8), freedom from geometric distortion and field curvature, but it’s really splitting hairs. The 45 is noticeably longer (with a more recessed front element) and heavier than the 35 (100g). I found that more regular people assumed it to be a telephoto.

the fov and handling are the determining factor I agree. If handheld the S +45 is one of the most different setups than the X1D equivalent in terms of handling, and nothing at all like shooting an M 35.

dont know about buying both, but carrying both and switching between them in the field would be impractical and unnecessary imo. To a lesser extent I feel the same about carrying both the 45 and 70.

Edited by alan.y
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Setuporg,  I agree with Geetee1972 comments in his Post #2.  Over the many years of using the S system and lenses, I found certain focal lengths are simply better for my genre of photography.  In my business, I do landscape photography of remote locations for corporate and private collectors.  I found that I bonded with some focal lengths far better than others for my works.  The S 35 was one focal length that I could not find a connection with for some reason.  The same went for the M 28mm lenses as well.  IMO, all the S lenses are superb for their designed and intended use.  In my case, the S007 works best for me with 24, 30, 45, 70, 120 and 180mm lenses.  Plus for me, photographic content and rendering are the most important aspects in creating a great photograph vs making a photo.  I suggest, it will get down to your genre of photography and if your chosen focal length(s) will meet your expectations to create superb photographs to capture that moment in time.  r/ Mark

• Like 1

It *is* very personal. The 45 would be the first lens I sold if I wanted to lighten my S system. I've never used it since testing it out of the box. I should have known, as I never used my 35mm M lens (it came with the M2). I like the S35 and S24 FoV, but don't care for the S30. Ditto their FF counterparts.

Matt

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 1

Also a question of the combination. I think if one likes 100mm, than 45 is a very good combination. If you prefer 70 mm over the 100, than maybe a wider lens.

I think the 45 is optically even slightly better than the 30 and 35. But in the end all S lenses are so good that I would say just chosse the focal length which gives you the fov you like.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but wanted to add for posterity’s sake.

I had the 35mm first, then bought the 45 and sold the 35.  I have mainly done landscape work and am trying to learn more about portraiture (outside in a landscape of course).  I do a lot of work at the beach and so a super wide does well, and I bought the 30.  Then I went back through a lot of images culling for a book, and found my best work was with the 35. So, now I have both again.

Ironically, I love the 28 and 35 on the M series and use the 35 for most street and walk around, and the 28 for landscape.  LOL, its the same on the S. The 45 works great for some things, but the 35 has incredibly little distortion and focuses well.  

In any event, I would vote for both lenses!

• Like 2