Which lens for 2-D art reproduction?

rfe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking to shoot 2D art (primarily paintings) for high quality reproduction, both commercial offset printing and generating giclees. I would definitely welcome any informed opinioins about which lens(es) might be the best for the task on the M8.

Thanks for your help.

Robert

There are three things that you have to beware of in this field: curvature of field; linear distortion; and performance fall-off close up. Few people this side of the 1950's have considered a RF camera for reproduction work, so there are no specialized optics available for the M except the Macro-Elmar 90mm (which has some 1.2% pincushion distortion) and the old Dual-Range 50mm Summicron, which it is verboten to use on the M8. The best bet would seem to be the 1958 vintage Elmarit 90mm with a Visoflex (lens head and Universal Focusing Mount OTZFO/16464). No distortion and good definition at reasonable reproduction ratios. (The 65mm Elmar is not good enough at the edges.) This is my preference for a repro rig.

Enlarger lenses are by definition close-up reproduction lenses, but they have no focusing helicals of course. Viso + bellows + 39mm thread adapter would work.

My own quick and dirty trick is the old 'Spinnebeine' ('Daddy Longlegs') or 'Copying Gauge' or BOOWU-M device. This is three extension rings for the original reproduction ratios of 1:4, 1:6 and 1:9 (A6, A5 and A4 on film) and with screw-in extensible legs. You bayonet in a ring in the camera (no problems), attach the legs as per instructions, and in front you attach a collapsible 50mm lens – preferably an Elmar 2.8, which is the nearest thing to a copy lens that Leitz ever produced – by its inner bayonet. Works fine.

However, if it is artwork you are after, repro ratio no closer than c. 1:7, and if slight distortion is no issue, do by all means use any good 90mm lens directly on the camera!

The old man from the Age of the NOOKY

I think if you plane to use M8 for paintings, a good choice can be a 90 as sharp as possible (I'd prefer Elmarit on Summicron) ; considering that thise kind of pics are by definition with tripod, you could also think of a Visoflex based gear (and maybe bellows, too...), if you are familiar with this tool... With a vertical Viso finder you have the best framing/focusing, and on the Viso you can mount Leitz lenses like Elmar 65 or 90/135 heads (Tele Elmar 135 is excellent), but you can also adapt lenses more specialized for reproduction (Leitz Photar or Rodenstock/Schneider: I remember to have seen such a combo in this forum) ; paintings reproduction, if one has to achieve real quality, is always a task much more difficult than one can think... but I think M8 sensor can prove good; just for chatting, I think that working digital, the best could be a some Linhof or Toyo with proper lens and scanning back...