Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am wanting to get back into infrared photography, I understand a stock M8 would do the trick. I always found rangefinders were better for infrared than SLRs and I would imagine now a mirrorless. I generally used HSIR film and a 29 or full infrared filter. I have 2 lenses that would be perfect a 35 Summilux and a 25 Canon f3.5. I don't use them much on my CL. Is there any tricks to know?

This was done on a IIIC with a 25 Nikkor.

Yes,

Nice IR picture (I see that you have some experiences in IR 😉)

I discovered easy IR photography with M8 from about 2008 .

I use Leitz old "IR" (as marked on the filter) with all my lenses in E39 size mainly in the wide (the Super-Angulon 4/21 is very good candidate with some time to master it).

Also B&W 093 IR and Heliopan filter RG780 are used but my preference goes to Leitz IR filter.

In this thread you will find some nice examples of IR from M8

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/257394-bw-pictures-on-leica-m8/?do=findComment&comment=3782274

my modest contribution in the said thread

(one from hundreds of IR pictures from M8 which are not very easy to have good take )

Posted (edited)

Thank you, nice image. I have the Leitz IR, but preferred the 29 red, let some lower wavelengths through. IR negs are a difficult scans so I do the ones that count.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

When I want to do IR photography, my M8 is the go-to tool. I use either a Hoya R72 or a B&W 093 and I get consistent results easily handheld. An ISO of 640 usually is sufficient.

Here are some examples:

Potomac River, C&O National Park, 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M (Pre-ASPH), Hoya R72 Filter

Mission Concepcion, San Antonio, same lens and filter

Cheers, Allan

Edited by cobbu2