Infrared with M8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/10/2019 at 2:28 PM, ianman said:

Not wanting to start a whole analog vs digital debate but IR is one aspect of photography where analog - especially the amazing Kodak High Speed Infrared - beats digital, not contest. I have 9 rolls for Kodak HIE left and 2 Kodak colour IR.

Loved working with HIE 35 and 4x5, didn't buy any when I should have. So what I have now is digital, the M8 is definitely better than my CL for infrared. No point in discussing which is better. HIE was not like Tri-X, a much less stable film.

• 1 year later...
On 9/10/2019 at 2:36 PM, pico said:

HIE was amazing!

I hope your old rolls of HIE are still good, Ian. I bought 200 sheets of HIE 4X5 just before it was discontinued and although frozen, the first exposures were fogged, but when I finish my new camera I will try again.

(I have three all-metal 4x5 cameras specifically intended to avoid bellows leaks and transparency.)

You might find this useful about the old IR film:

• Like 2

Another old IR from my files, now processed with red/blue swap 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I'm very sorry to hear about PICO.

I've worked with Digital Infrared Imagers since 1981. Digital is much better than what we could do with film, the problem is to get the correct detectors and, if you are using a Color Mosaic Filter- getting the correct Dye. Kodak made the DCS460cir- a 6MPixel color Infrared camera back in the mid 1990s. It basically was a Digital version of high-speed Infrared Ektachrome. Silicon sensors are sensitive much farther into the Infrared than film. I have the first Kodak DCS200ir, early 1990s. It is full-spectrum monochrome.

For a consumer camera: having a camera converted to full-spectrum and then using filters to selectively block color gives interesting results, comparable to color IR film. As an example, Using an Orange filter will leave the blue channel sensitive to IR only. Using a Magenta filter will block Green, leaving it sensitive to IR only. 

(Mods- this image is taken with an OLD Nikon Coolpix 950, that I converted myself to full spectrum over 15 years ago)

Straight out of camera JPEG from a Nikon Coolpix 950 that I replaced the IR blocking filter. This is with a Magenta Wratten filter and a home-made filter holder. This image taken 15+ years ago. I gave the camera away to one of my students studying forensics. For work- I spent $25K on a "Sensors Unlimited" camera. This one, for playing around- was under $100 even 15+ years ago.

Edited by BrianS
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is with my M8, shooting (Button dance) Raw mode, using a Red filter, and custom DNG processor to boost the Blue and Green channel to equalize with red. Blue gets IR, green gets mostly IR, Red- gets mostly red.

• Like 4