Evolution

Advertisement (gone after registration)

here's an evolutionary sequence:

C1000003 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

On the right, a critter that does one thing very well, and seems to be very happy doing it.

In the middle, a more sophisticated critter, that can do many things, all under the control of just four buttons, modestly camouflaged in black.

Further to the left, a newly developed creature with 18 fully programmable buttons, two switches, a joystick -- it can do anything and can do it any way you want to (if you remember what you wanted and how you wanted it to be done.)  It's full of confidence, see the "steal me!" strap?

And at the left edge, bursting into the Bokeh, a critter which has reached the level that she can program us.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 3
  • Haha 12

You are right about the SL in the middle -- yet it has become the simplest camera I've shot for good quality work. I use manual M-mount lenses, and once Auto ISO got set to my preference, I use the lower right button to cycle the information display, a dial to set exposure compensation while I watch a histogram and blinkies, and the push-in button for magnified EVF focus. The results are the best I've ever gotten.

And unlike the intelligent creature at the left, the SL does make me sneeze.

• Like 1

As camera creatures evolve to be more and more artificial with intelligence the more I want a simpler camera. The SL, M camera and M lenses give me everything I need or want in a camera. Just picked up an SL body recently too and use with just M lens. May look into third party glass at some point as the new partners roll out SL mount lenses. So for now I'm happy with M lens and evolution of the 24MB FF SL. 

Edited by ru2far2c