Evolution of the SL Lineage

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought my very first Leica T(Limited edition) in Frankfurt in 2015 and fell in love with the Leica's heritage, the touchscreen interface and clean, minimalistic design. I love the clarity and sharpness of the 18-56mm kit lens that came with the Leica T.

When the Leica SL came out, I had to get my hands on the full frame sensor as the TL lenses weren't bright enough for me. In June 2016, I finally managed to get my hands on the SL and I couldn't stop raving about the image quality of the 24-90 and 90-280. I love the simplicity of the unmarked buttons whereby I can configure it to my heart's content and the beautiful EVF was an eye-opener back in 2016. The clean looking back of the SL is a stark contrast to my Nikon D5 and Canon 1DXii whereby we were inundated with more than 18 buttons on those cameras. Although the SL lacked an IBIS, it made up for it by having IS on the 24-90 and 90-280.

When the SL2 was announced in Nov 2019, I couldn't get my hands on one as the demand on it was high. The Leica sales rep put me on a waiting list and was told that it would take 3 months before I could get my hands on it as there were other people who pre-ordered the SL2 earlier than me. As I couldn't wait for 3 months, I started calling a few other Leica boutiques around the world and finally got a reply from Sarah Strutwolf from Leica Store Wetzlar that they have 2 pieces in stock. Told her to reserve a set for me and I flew over to Germany to collect it from her in Jan 2020.....just in time for my birthday 🤣

The SL2 was a game changer and it had everything the SL lacked, improved EVF, better LCD, better handgrip and ergonomics, but most importantly, it has IBIS which is what I needed. Till today, I still love my SL2 and I really appreciate that Leica kept on releasing the firmware to make it better every year. Things like Perspective Control and Multi-Shot only came in as a firmware update a couple of years later.

When Leica introduced the SL2-S, I didn’t bother to get it even though it had a better BSI sensor as it looked just like the SL2, but all black. However, things changed when Leica released the SL2-S Reporter. I love the green matt paint and it looked so awesome.

Fortunately for me, my favourite Leica sales rep messaged me and I told her to reserve one for me. However, the first two SL2-S Reporter had some defects. The first one had 2 dead pixels in the sensor which I only noticed a few days later. The second one had some problems reading my UHS-II Sony Tough card. Credit must be given to the sales rep who promptly managed to get a replacement set for me as quickly as she could. It is things like these that makes a customer go back….Luckily, my third Reporter is in perfect working condition now.

Although there are no problems with the Reporter, the aramide fabric that is used to wrap the body doesn’t seem to like Singapore’s humid weather and started to fray at the edges.  And I didn’t even use it extensively since it was a collectors’ item. I think I have to send it back to Leica and change the wrap and keep it in my dry cabinet for safe-keeping.

Finally, the latest iteration of the SL lineage was revealed on 7 Mar 2024 and I managed to get it 2 days later. Like its predecessor, the SL3 met all the shortcomings of the SL2.  I love the fact that they've introduced a tilting screen, PDAF, the use of a fast CF Express card, a smaller and lighter body which all Leica users have been yearning for (maybe not the tilty screen).

Being a small company, Leica is able to listen to their customers’ needs and tries to incorporate it into their cameras. Over the period of 9 years since the launch of the first SL, the lineage is slowly evolving into the ideal camera now albeit incremental. Hopefully, Leica is able to introduce focus bracketing, live-composite like the OM systems or bring back the multi-shot via a firmware update in future.

What were your wish list for the SL3?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by fotonutzz
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

...some more about SL family evolution (with handgrip) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't know how you attached the soft-releases to the shutter button.  Hope it wasn't with expoxy glue!

I used "sugru" silicone putty to fashion soft-releases for my cameras which don't have cable release threads in the shutter button.

Cures hard and can be peeled off at resale time 😃

22 hours ago, SrMi said:

Both SL3 and SL2-S have 5fps max with AF. However, SL3 has better AF-C which makes high fps shooting easier. AF-C with SL3 seems fine to me. What issues are you having with it?

8 hours ago, fotonutzz said:

I bought my very first Leica T(Limited edition) in Frankfurt in 2015 and fell in love with the Leica's heritage, the touchscreen interface and clean, minimalistic design. I love the clarity and sharpness of the 18-56mm kit lens that came with the Leica T.

When the Leica SL came out, I had to get my hands on the full frame sensor as the TL lenses weren't bright enough for me. In June 2016, I finally managed to get my hands on the SL and I couldn't stop raving about the image quality of the 24-90 and 90-280. I love the simplicity of the unmarked buttons whereby I can configure it to my heart's content and the beautiful EVF was an eye-opener back in 2016. The clean looking back of the SL is a stark contrast to my Nikon D5 and Canon 1DXii whereby we were inundated with more than 18 buttons on those cameras. Although the SL lacked an IBIS, it made up for it by having IS on the 24-90 and 90-280.

When the SL2 was announced in Nov 2019, I couldn't get my hands on one as the demand on it was high. The Leica sales rep put me on a waiting list and was told that it would take 3 months before I could get my hands on it as there were other people who pre-ordered the SL2 earlier than me. As I couldn't wait for 3 months, I started calling a few other Leica boutiques around the world and finally got a reply from Sarah Strutwolf from Leica Store Wetzlar that they have 2 pieces in stock. Told her to reserve a set for me and I flew over to Germany to collect it from her in Jan 2020.....just in time for my birthday 🤣

The SL2 was a game changer and it had everything the SL lacked, improved EVF, better LCD, better handgrip and ergonomics, but most importantly, it has IBIS which is what I needed. Till today, I still love my SL2 and I really appreciate that Leica kept on releasing the firmware to make it better every year. Things like Perspective Control and Multi-Shot only came in as a firmware update a couple of years later.

When Leica introduced the SL2-S, I didn’t bother to get it even though it had a better BSI sensor as it looked just like the SL2, but all black. However, things changed when Leica released the SL2-S Reporter. I love the green matt paint and it looked so awesome.

Fortunately for me, my favourite Leica sales rep messaged me and I told her to reserve one for me. However, the first two SL2-S Reporter had some defects. The first one had 2 dead pixels in the sensor which I only noticed a few days later. The second one had some problems reading my UHS-II Sony Tough card. Credit must be given to the sales rep who promptly managed to get a replacement set for me as quickly as she could. It is things like these that makes a customer go back….Luckily, my third Reporter is in perfect working condition now.

Although there are no problems with the Reporter, the aramide fabric that is used to wrap the body doesn’t seem to like Singapore’s humid weather and started to fray at the edges.  And I didn’t even use it extensively since it was a collectors’ item. I think I have to send it back to Leica and change the wrap and keep it in my dry cabinet for safe-keeping.

Finally, the latest iteration of the SL lineage was revealed on 7 Mar 2024 and I managed to get it 2 days later. Like its predecessor, the SL3 met all the shortcomings of the SL2.  I love the fact that they've introduced a tilting screen, PDAF, the use of a fast CF Express card, a smaller and lighter body which all Leica users have been yearning for (maybe not the tilty screen).

Being a small company, Leica is able to listen to their customers’ needs and tries to incorporate it into their cameras. Over the period of 9 years since the launch of the first SL, the lineage is slowly evolving into the ideal camera now albeit incremental. Hopefully, Leica is able to introduce focus bracketing, live-composite like the OM systems or bring back the multi-shot via a firmware update in future.

What were your wish list for the SL3?

How did you attach a soft button to your Leicas; there is no threaded interface on my SL2. 

3 hours ago, AZN said:

Don't know how you attached the soft-releases to the shutter button.  Hope it wasn't with expoxy glue!

I used "sugru" silicone putty to fashion soft-releases for my cameras which don't have cable release threads in the shutter button.

Cures hard and can be peeled off at resale time 😃

Nope, I didn't superglue it. It's the default 3M adhesive that came with the Lolumina buttons.  Hasn't drop off the SL for the last 8 yrs 😂😂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fred Newberry said:

How did you attach a soft button to your Leicas; there is no threaded interface on my SL2. 

The 3M adhesive from Lolumina is very good.

According to the Lolumina instructions, it can be removed by using a dental floss across the gap..  But I haven't tried that 😅

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, MediaFotografie said:

...some more about SL family evolution (with handgrip) 

Yup... I have the grip for the SL & SL2 too.  Haven't got the SL3 grip yet as it is not in Singapore yet. 

24 minutes ago, fotonutzz said:

According to the Lolumina instructions, it can be removed by using a dental floss across the gap..  But I haven't tried that 😅

25 minutes ago, fotonutzz said:

Could you provide a link for the Lolumina soft release button?