Tokyo - Then and now

AndreasG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Most enjoyable! I lived in Tokyo early 1957 for  a few  months, staying at a tiny room in the old Imperial Hotel ( designed by Frank Lloyd Wright) for ¥ 1000 a day including breakfast. Later in the 1960ties in Ashiya, between Kobe and Osaka. Then in 1986– 1994 in Tokyo in Shirogane..

Your series made me feel home sick. I recognized many of the scenes you show. Incidentally, the 109 number on the Building in Shibuya is pronounced TO– KYU, meaning ten nine, ie the name if the Department store Tokyu. You surely also remember Tokyu Hands  called „ HANDSU“ around the corner.

i have thousands of pictures of Kyoto temples and   gardens, but, alas, too few of Tokyo itself. 

Once more thanks for the series and the effort you expended

Teddy

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Theodor Heinrichsohn:

Most enjoyable! I lived in Tokyo early 1957 for  a few  months, staying at a tiny room in the old Imperial Hotel ( designed by Frank Lloyd Wright) for ¥ 1000 a day including breakfast. Later in the 1960ties in Ashiya, between Kobe and Osaka. Then in 1986– 1994 in Tokyo in Shirogane..

Your series made me feel home sick. I recognized many of the scenes you show. Incidentally, the 109 number on the Building in Shibuya is pronounced TO– KYU, meaning ten nine, ie the name if the Department store Tokyu. You surely also remember Tokyu Hands  called „ HANDSU“ around the corner.

i have thousands of pictures of Kyoto temples and   gardens, but, alas, too few of Tokyo itself. 

Once more thanks for the series and the effort you expended

Teddy

Teddy,

I sent you a private message..,

To all others, who appreciate this series, thank you very much indeed, I am deeply impressed by the positive resonance! I am certainly going to continue this series, however, I will be traveling until mid of September outside of Japan, so, please be a little patient...

Best regards,

Andreas

• Like 1

vor 16 Minuten schrieb aokajiya:

Fascinating series! I live in Japan now (Kamakura) and this makes me wish I'd taken more photos when I first got here in '91. I suppose I can look forward to taking some "now" photos 30 years from now...

Love the work, looking forward to more!

Alex

http://www.instagram.com/aokajiya

Alex, 

Thank you very much, let me suggest to meet in September when I am back, either in Tokyo (I live in Shinagawa) or Kamakura, it is just a 30min ride with the Yokusuka line... let's talk, make photos or share a drink!

Best regards

Andreas

Teddy,

In Japan nothing gets lost, as you know, particularly not a name card, as they are treated like the holy grail. So, I found your name card in one of my eight boxes of collected  cards, see the photo (company and further data removed for privacy). Seems, we met the first time Nov. 28, 1990, as my handwritten remark tells. 

Another Tokyo story about then and now....

Andreas

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lieber Andreas,

vielen Dank für diese wunderbare Serie, ich habe immer Bilder über genau dieses Tokyo gesucht und nicht gefunden, beneidenswert, das Du es erleben durftest und uns diese Schätze zeigst. Eine ähnliche, wenn gleich mutmaßlich nicht so dramatische Veränderung hat auch New York erlebt, und auch hier gibt das verlorene New York noch auf Bilder zu bewundern: https://www.facebook.com/DirtyOld1970sNYC/.

Du hattest nicht nur das ungewöhnliche Privileg, in Japan leben zu dürfen, Du hast auch diese unvergleichlich charmanten Bilder gemacht. P.E.R.F.E.K.T.

Edited by Shlomo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me add another matching pair, the Yushima Seido (temple) in Yushima, Bunkyo-ku, close to Ochanomizu, Tokyo. It is a rather large temple area, on a slope, with many trees and most famous for its statue of Confucius. Several times destroyed, burnt down through fire after a powerful earthquake, the present building, around 90 years old, is actually a concrete building. Though the roof is in a nice green of oxidized copper, the overall appearance is gloomy due to the black painted doors and frames, especially on a dark and rainy day, as on the old photo here.

• Like 4

Only a few days ago, well, after around 30 years and on a sunny and hot day, the temple looked much friendlier, though still in black.

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

more Tokyo series at http://instagram.com/nineteenfocus