Leica Fotos limited..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m without a way to back up my taws whilst in holiday and will fill the 128gb sd card up before long.

after multiple attempts I got the phone and camera connected.

484 photos. I want to download them all to the phone, but there is no select all option so have to do this one by one. When I click download after some time it says preparing after a long while later I see the circle is a progress bar which has hardly moved.

it seems this is not going to be a viable option to back up my files. 

Why not carry a self contained/ portable solid-state external drive which incorporates a sd card reader.  No computer required.  Just insert the sdcard and automatically offload your camera files to the storage device.  Western Digital manufacturer a range of these devices.  

https://www.wd.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-wireless-pro.html

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, dancook said:

I’m without a way to back up my taws whilst in holiday and will fill the 128gb sd card up before long.

after multiple attempts I got the phone and camera connected.

484 photos. I want to download them all to the phone, but there is no select all option so have to do this one by one. When I click download after some time it says preparing after a long while later I see the circle is a progress bar which has hardly moved.

it seems this is not going to be a viable option to back up my files. 

Given that you are already on holiday, you really have four options:

1) Live with the fact that it will be slow (assume one minute per picture) and just make sure you leave yourself time to recharge your camera’s and cell phone’s batteries.  It is possible in Fotos to selected multiple files and download in batches, so you wouldn’t have to be staring at it for hours at a time.  You could select fifty or more at a time and check it once an hour, for example.  Slow but better than nothing.  This assumes your phone has enough storage, by the way.

2) Buy a spare flash card or two and worry about what to do when you get home.  This would be my first choice if it’s possible where you are.

3) Buy a dongle to transfer from your card to your phone.  If you have an iPhone, for example, they are only about 20USD and are MUCH faster than Fotos.  This assumes you have access to the same type of store that could sell you an SD card, so you may just prefer that option.

4) 128 GB is likely ample if you cull your images at night on the camera.  Keep anything that’s marginal, but throw away the clearly uninteresting photos. You should be able to keep more than 3,000 on a single 128 GB card, and you are only at 485 so far.  Are you more than 1/8th of the way through your vacation?  You may be OK.

2 days into a 9 day vacation and a 128gb card stores about 1300 raw files.

i was going to upload them online after backing them up but I think I will struggle with that too.

there are some Fujifilm sd cards a few doors down (at a print shop) but the 64gb ones are 40mbs and 40 euro. 

Going to to check a computer shop for options when it opens at 9.

might have to cull and switch to jpg if all else fails 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

24 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

This isn't meant as a criticism, but you seem to be a thoughtful guy from your posts so I'm surprised you went on a 9 day vacation without a reliable/practical back up system in place. Did some other solution go wrong?

Yes my solution was to process each evening on my laptop but I forgot my power cable, then found it had no charge to even just to offload each evening.

i had a wedding to photograph the day before we left and did last minute packing, oops

Edited by dancook
  • Like 1

Dan,

I’d purchase several of the 64GB SD cards so you have extra capacity. They’re slow, but mostly that will affect your download speed unless you are using continuous mode a lot. You’re in a frustrating situation. 80€ for two cards would at least help some. Good luck. 

16 minutes ago, iQ2 said:

If it operates your laptop, it’ll likely charge the battery. It may not be rated at the same power as your one safely at home, but leave it hooked up and it should charge. 

It’s a dell thing, actively prevented by dell.

i have 500gb drive in it so plenty of room for me

11 minutes ago, iQ2 said:

Bummer. Sorry. I’d buy SD cards. Much easier than trying to delete pics on a card to make room. Good luck with it all. 

Power cable was 45 euro and lets me offload up to 500gb and process 

otherwise it’s 40 euro for each slow 64gb card

i just format card after copying to laptop, enough room each day on 128gb sd card to last me

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dancook said:

Power cable was 45 euro and lets me offload up to 500gb and process 

otherwise it’s 40 euro for each slow 64gb card

i just format card after copying to laptop, enough room each day on 128gb sd card to last me

Dan,

Only you know the right thing to do so my comments are not meant in any way to be critical. I would worry about redundancy and maintaining two copies of photos. In this particular case, the risk may be so low of a HD failure, that you’re safe, but one never knows when a computer or HD will go belly up. That was my thinking behind buying more SD cards inspite of them being slow. Fast 64GB SD cards are $100 USD so the €40 is not totally unreasonable. Super good luck with it all. Look forward to seeing your photos. 

• Thanks 1

I moved all my old SD card into fast SD XC UHS II into two 128GB ; eight 64GB ; one 16GB

For a total of 784 GB. I think that I should be covered for the next trip with Q2 & CL in DNG only mode.

For previous trips, I used to use a total of 560 GB of memory card for Q & CL in DNG only mode. 

784 GB is only 40% more storage than 560 GB. But the Q2 produce DNG twice as big as Q or CL. 

Still no way to upgrade to 4K for video. I will stick with 1080p for now. SD card requirements will explode with 4K ! 

I've got eight fast Lexar SD XC UHS-II V60 64GB for only 20€ each (tax included). Thanks Amazon.fr

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

Next time just bring along an SD card adapter for your phone 😉

so much faster (especially USB 3 one) than slow as molasses WiFi transfer. 

All cameras used cheap outdated wireless chips and antennas. Therefore über slow file transfer. Such a shame. No camera can compete with the worst smartphone, for photo sharing. 

That’s why I gave up wireless transfer for more than 5 photos to upload. 

• Like 1

Next time just bring along an SD card adapter for your phone 😉

so much faster (especially USB 3 one) than slow as molasses WiFi transfer. 

All cameras used cheap outdated wireless chips and antennas. Therefore über slow file transfer. Such a shame. No camera can compete with the worst smartphone, for photo sharing. 

That’s why I gave up wireless transfer for more than 5 photos to upload. 

You must be shooting 10-20 times what I shoot on vacation. Last year on a megalithic six week trip to the UK and across the USA, I carried a 128G card in the camera and another as backup. I filled one and then put another few dozen onto the second, about 2600 exposures in all. A year later, and I still haven't had time to go through all of that... yet I've published about 300 photos from that trip!!

We are two photographers : my wife and I. 

Q2 for her. CL for me. Twice the photographic opportunities. Twice the storage needs. Actually with the Q2 on board : three times the storage needs. 

And with a baby on board, we shoot even more  

And we shoot lots of videos. Making a move to 4K almost impossible.