New: Leica M-E (Type 240)

2 hours ago, Bigdukeron said:

Finally arrived, just as Leica UK is upping their price... puh.

My first Leica since the first camera I bought, a mini 3 in the late 90ies.

Happy :)

I received mine just in time last month then; glad I didn't hesitate, as I always do 🙄

• 2 weeks later...

My US Dealer has informed me that Leica USA has received 5 for the month of October.

As soon as he gets it from Leica USA, it’s on it’s way to me. Waiting for Tracking #.

As an aside, can someone tell me the difference between a picture taken with the same lens on an M10 and 240 M-E?

I expect I need to find a USB Card reader as the Specs make no mention of any type of connection for downloading?

I’ll have to rummage around in the digital stuff I have.

The spec also calls for SD/SDHC/SDXC card compatibility.

I assume SDXC is the best choice and 64GB, the limit presently.

Any recommendations on Cards?

I will be using a New MAC Mini for editing and will need to find a way to transfer from the SD card to the Mac as it only has one USB and 4 Thunderbolt ports, I.E. no SD port.

Any thoughts on best way and equipment to do this?

Thanks for any replies.

-Richard

Edited by budrichard

19 hours ago, budrichard said:

As an aside, can someone tell me the difference between a picture taken with the same lens on an M10 and 240 M-E?

-Richard

At normal ISO’s of 200-800, I wouldn’t figure on seeing all that much of a difference in image quality between an ME 240 and M10. From around 1600 to 3200 ( but I find ISO 1600-3200 in my M262 to be just fine as well) the M10 should start pulling away. Above 3200 the M10 should be much better.

I use a Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC II 64 GB card in my M262, have used it in MP240 and M246 bodies too and highly recommend it.

Edited by Gregm61

21 hours ago, budrichard said:

My US Dealer has informed me that Leica USA has received 5 for the month of October.

As soon as he gets it from Leica USA, it’s on it’s way to me. Waiting for Tracking #.

I expect I need to find a USB Card reader as the Specs make no mention of any type of connection for downloading?

I’ll have to rummage around in the digital stuff I have.

I will be using a New MAC Mini for editing and will need to find a way to transfer from the SD card to the Mac as it only has one USB and 4 Thunderbolt ports, I.E. no SD port.

Any thoughts on best way and equipment to do this?

Thanks for any replies.

-Richard

With your Mac Mini you will need a USB C multi port adapter or USB C SD card adapter (Apple makes one).  The multi port adapters will give you an SD card slot as well as USB, HDMI and other ports.  With you Mac Mini, I would go the multi port route over the Apple card reader.  I personally have the Apple card reader, but use it to upload photos to my IPad Pro.

A question about SD card speed.

Although the camera is 95mb/s write speed, if I purchase a card with higher speed and if I have USB-C multi port adapter that will handle the card speed, my download time from card to Mac  will be less than if I purchase a card and reader that are capable of only 95mb/s?

So there is an advantage in work load speed with a higher speed if I get say a 256 GB or higher card?

Again thanks for any replies as I get set to enter this new phase!

=Richard

2 hours ago, budrichard said:

A question about SD card speed.

Although the camera is 95mb/s write speed, if I purchase a card with higher speed and if I have USB-C multi port adapter that will handle the card speed, my download time from card to Mac  will be less than if I purchase a card and reader that are capable of only 95mb/s?

So there is an advantage in work load speed with a higher speed if I get say a 256 GB or higher card?

Again thanks for any replies as I get set to enter this new phase!

=Richard

The general consensus from reading other post related to SD cards in the Type 240 is to use 64gb cards or smaller.  I have used a 128gb card without issue.  I have read post where people stated they had issues with the compatibility 256gb cards.  

I use a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64gb /95mbs card in my M240, but carry 2 extra 128gb cards as backups (128gb cards were on sale at Costco).  The 64gb card will hold over 400 dng files.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally the M-E was delivered yesterday!

Charged the battery to 80% and Scrounged around and found a 8GB SD Card in an old digital camera.

Put a 21mm f2.8 APSH with external finder on.

I think it really needs the EVF or it looks like the rangefinder may cover just about what the 21mm covers.

Have to order another battery, I suspect it’s costly?

ScanDisk Reader is on order with USB-C connector to my Mac Mini.

Got to find some 128GB cards as the 8GB card formatted to have 30 exposures.

Just ordered 2 SanDisk 128GB per the evaluation on this forum.

Menu system is fairly intuitive and I have made a few adjustments such as Red Frame Lines and 21mm f2.8 lens.

It’s a chunky little Beast, much thicker than an M7.

Frankly, I could do without the finder and buttons on the back ala the M10-P.

Just adjust parameters with an iPhone as I don’t change things once I start shooting.

Will compare subjectively photos taken with iPhone 11 Pro and later with M7/Fuji film as time permits.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by budrichard
  • Like 2

Image from my M-E typ240 with 50mm summicron - shot at 2000 iso, 1/15 sec, f/2.8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by OR120
correction
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 9:43 AM, sblutter said:

I'm waiting to see what the eventual M11 has.  I skipped the M10 because the sensor's the same as my 240, which remains perfectly acceptable.  As for the price of the M-E as a back-up, I'd get the best used 240 I could find for about the same price.

For an M newbie, M-E would be a great choice and I assume comes with a warranty, leaving one more decision to make:  which lens?!?!

I got a new sensor for my 6yr old 240 installed by Leica in Allendale for just $250. My new M-E 240 has 5yr warranty! Tough choice? Can't tell the difference, except ME=1080@30FPS...

On 8/7/2019 at 10:26 AM, Nick N said:

Did you just try to order one today? Just curious because I ordered one from my shop about 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard anything yet and I’m starting to get a little nervous that I missed the boat.

I ordered my M-E a few days ago and they claim to still be fulfilling orders. I found out that you need to place a pre-order or keep calling until you find one in stock somewhere.

If you just show interest and want your vendor to let you know when in stock - you're out-of-luck. M-Es are selling-out as soon as they are in-inventory... Good Luck!

On 8/2/2019 at 4:06 PM, gramorris said:

I have to one but I wouldn’t be qualified to do a review in comparison to other m240 family cameras. To help answer whether there’s likely any differences from the standard m240 I can tell you it comes with an m240 manual and a small card explaining that it has 2gb buffer and isn’t compatible with the multi function hand grip.

The paint finish is a very nice, textured finish and the leather cover is discerningly soft.

Yes it does, the M-E works fine with the Multifunction Handgrip 14495... according to Leica!

On 11/7/2019 at 4:42 PM, nilca said:

Yes it does, the M-E works fine with the Multifunction Handgrip 14495... according to Leica!

There’s an addendum to the instructions in the box that states that it doesn’t. It’s not something that’s of interest to me so I haven’t checked. The instructions could be wrong, the contacts are there but if I was relying on being able to use the multifunction with the ME I’d make sure I tested before purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 2:21 AM, waex99 said:

The M240 without video nor live view is  called M262 (I have one for 3 years now), so yes I wonder what is the difference between the 240 and the new M-E.

I think the M-E declination is the end of the life cycle for the M240, I read a post about the lifestyle of the product somewhere: it starts with the M, added the M-D and M-262 variations, upgraded to M-P then "downgrade" to M-E, then exit. I am still very happy with the M262 and don't plan to change it soon but this is as least 10 years old technology.

The difference is that the M-E is not a 240, it's a typ 220. Some things I've noticed is that the Multifunction Grip does not work with the ME: i.e. GPS, USB and PTP. Leica NJ was not aware of this until I brought it to their attention.