New: Leica M-E (Type 240)

vor 5 Stunden schrieb ChicagoMatthew:

Steve Huff is saying Leica is only releasing 750 of these. Which if true, although unlikely, it would make it a sort of limited edition, no?

Normally limited editions wil be numbered as such. If you're implying any kind of investment in M-E because of rairity, I would not be very convinced. That they make more than 750 , would to me, also be unlikely. 

I went ahead to check the used M240 price from a local Leica dealer, it is sub 3K USD for a like new condition.  I think the used price will fall like a rock after ME is out.   If anyone (like me) who bought a new one last year, the depreciation curve (dropped 60+ % in 1 year) is worse than Nikon, Fuji or Canon.  Although I am not planning to sell mine, but It was a really bad move.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

They might have trouble selling 750 of them..

I remember the M9 M-E sitting around in shops at discount years ago..

But if they sell out..M240 prices will probably stabilize around 2.5K..as its getting pretty old now..

But when they release the newer 240 model..then its back to high prices again..as the 240 goes away for good..

I bought my first M a M262 in October 2016 and now have now acquired several lenses and various accessories.

I had been debating whether to buy a CL with M adaptor as a second body selling my now little used X-Vario.

However, after a bit of consideration the logical thing to do seemed to order an ME240 which I did last weekend.  

The ME240 would provide my kit with a second body, so should the M262 have to go back to base for a service or repairs at anytime I would have another body to put the lenses on.

Plus I could obtain something wider than my 28mm Elmarit with the ME240 having live view there would be no need to buy a separate and pricey external viewfinder.

I must admit when I decided on the M262 I did that on the basis that I didn't want the movie function as I don't do movies.

It was only after I bought the M262 that I realised the lack of live view meant problems if I wanted to go wider than 28mm.

Given the low price it would be daft not to get one.

I wonder how many ME240 cameras will go to  existing M users compared to newcomers to the system?

John

We all rationalize our Leica purchases..lol..

I sure have..

But the M-E..is a pretty big stretch..

The only reason I would get it is that I dont own a digital M..as in..it's the rangefinder I would want....and I own a lot of M lenses..

And am teetering back and forth about it..

It is in my cart at B&H..but I havent worked up the nerve to hit the..buy it now button..lol..

Maybe a CL instead..

Or just save bux...and get a Sony..

I will probably get this one. Will be my first digital M, and I specifically want the RF experience, but can not stand the hassle to develop film.

Have tried M-mounts on Sony, and with poor results (never any good edge sharpness, and strange edge colours with wide angle M-optics).

Have not tried CL or Pana S1, but have heard that L-mount is supposed to be optimised to handle M-mount lenses better than other mirrorless cameras (which usually does not work well, and I have tried Sony, Fuji and m43 with M-adaptors).

Edited by martinot

6 hours ago, tsleica said:

We all rationalize our Leica purchases..lol..

I sure have..

But the M-E..is a pretty big stretch..

The only reason I would get it is that I dont own a digital M..as in..it's the rangefinder I would want....and I own a lot of M lenses..

And am teetering back and forth about it..

It is in my cart at B&H..but I havent worked up the nerve to hit the..buy it now button..lol..

Maybe a CL instead..

Or just save bux...and get a Sony..

I'm not impressed (to say at least) with Sony capabilities to handle RF lenses, not even M, but just FSU LTM.

• Like 1

My limited learning on this subject from the experience of others is that if you want the joy of using the excellent Leica M lenses then fit them to a Leica M body.

There have been examples in life where fitting a Triumph motorcycle engine to a Norton motorcycle frame has worked well but these instances are rare.

I wouldn't attach a Sony lens to my M body. What's the point in attaching an M lens to a Sony?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peter Kilmister said:

There have been examples in life where fitting a Triumph motorcycle engine to a Norton motorcycle frame has worked well but these instances are rare.

What we need is a Leica Feather Bed frame camera! Yea.

• Like 1

Over the years I  had the Big Nikons, a few Canon's, the yearning for an M is never quenched until you actually own an M. The M3 was my first and I plodded on, then the M6..  The digital M's are another beast, the X1 quenched a little, then the XVario quenched a little more, but all the time I knew I would eventually get a digital M.. Then the M-P240 Safari Set came out.. That's it..  No regrets.. As they say, 'pull the trigger' and enjoy.. On ordering the Set, I sent my wife away with her Mom for a weekend of wine & good food) it arrived o/night, I unpacked it with reverence and awe, once set up I took it out, when I saw the images on my 27"iMac, I was absolutely sold.. My wife commented on my new Desktop..Sold all round..L

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Peter Kilmister said:

I have been there. Me Ex on my Rickman-Trident #1329R

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pico
  • Like 3