New York One Challenge - The Winners

StS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have to say this was a very suspenseful head-to-head race in the last days. Counting the votes, it became obvious that John would win, but the decision was between John Amiet and John Cartwright, who both ended up with 56 points in total. In this case, every single vote counted.

So, this appears to be the first time we have to invoke the rule for a draw on points, that the picture wins, which has more 3-point-votes (maybe Andy knows, if we had this situation before).

With twelve times 3 points, the first place of the New York One Challenge goes to John Amiet from Melbourne and his picture „America on the move“.

Extremely close runner up with eleven times 3 points is John Cartwright from Uttlesford with his picture „Getting Down to the Vibe“

As a side note, both pictures also had seven times 2 points each...

Place three goes to Philippe Octo from Cannes and his picture „reaching for the star !“, which won 31 points and is rather closely followed by Tom Lane's „BRIT GOES TO BROOKLYN“ with 28 points.

Also, my best thanks to all participants for contributing to this impressive gallery. Special thanks to Andy Barton and Andreas Jürgensen for lots of backstage support, to our friends in New York for showing us around and especially Steve Blitz for his extremely helpful support during the organization of the restaurant.

Congratulations to the winners!

Stefan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Winner of the New York One Challenge: John Amiet, America on the move, M10, 24mm/2.8, ISO400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Runner up (closest possible): John Cartwright, Getting Down to the Vibe, M Monochrom Mk 1, 50 Summilux asph, ISO320

• Like 7

Third place: Philippe Octo, reaching for the star !, M8, Elmar-M 2.8/50, ISO400

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, StS said:

I have to say this was a very suspenseful head-to-head race in the last days. Counting the votes, it became obvious that John would win, but the decision was between John Amiet and John Cartwright, who both ended up with 56 points in total. In this case, every single vote counted.

So, this appears to be the first time we have to invoke the rule for a draw on points, that the picture wins, which has more 3-point-votes (maybe Andy knows, if we had this situation before).

With twelve times 3 points, the first place of the New York One Challenge goes to John Amiet from Melbourne and his picture „America on the move“.

Extremely close runner up with eleven times 3 points is John Cartwright from Uttlesford with his picture „Getting Down to the Vibe“

As a side note, both pictures also had seven times 2 points each...

Place three goes to Philippe Octo from Cannes and his picture „reaching for the star !“, which won 31 points and is rather closely followed by Tom Lane's „BRIT GOES TO BROOKLYN“ with 28 points.

Also, my best thanks to all participants for contributing to this impressive gallery. Special thanks to Andy Barton and Andreas Jürgensen for lots of backstage support, to our friends in New York for showing us around and especially Steve Blitz for his extremely helpful support during the organization of the restaurant.

Congratulations to the winners!

Stefan

Thanks Stefan

And also a big thanks for organising such a successful challenge.  I thoroughly enjoyed taking part, and the time spent in New York with a great bunch of people, friends old and new.

Congratulations to John Amiet, a worthy victor.  I feel a glow of pride to have run him so close (probably more by luck than judgement in my case!). And well done to Phillipe too, and indeed everyone who took part for a great spread of photographs.

See some of you in Seville!

John C

Edited by jcraf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Huge congratulations to Erl, jcraf, Octo, and LaneTomLane in that order for your excellent pictures that certainly deserve the plaudits!

Massive thanks to StS for organising a very enjoyable Challenge and time spent (misspent?) in New York City!

My experiment with using a 10 mm lens for the Challenge didn't ultimately prove successful but I enjoyed the challenges of using it nevertheless.

Pete.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What an exciting experience was New York!

Likewise, it would seem the competition was as exciting. Nobody could have predicted such a close race.

My attitude is always, "if I am happy enough with my picture to submit it, then I am a winner", because I am the only one who has to live with it. I believe the same of all entrants. You are all winners if you have entered.

As far as I am concerned, John Cartright is every bit worthy of first place with me. I consider him at least my equal.

As for Philippe in third place, I have always considered him a challenger to watch. Never to be under estimated.

Overall, the Challenge is just that, a challenge and not to be under estimated how difficult it is with the various restrictions. One must experience it to realize just how hard it can be to get a good picture under the conditions.

A particular word of appreciation must go to Stefan for his meticulous organization of the various stages of our event. I have done it once and I know just how time consuming it is, so thank so much Stefan. You did a wonderful job.

As this was my last Challenge, I am honoured to have done so well at the end and I thank the voters for their support.

Allow me to indulge to a personal secret. For all Challenges I have attended, I always leave home with a basic technique or objective in mind. Remembering that originally the Challenge had a time limit of one hour. On that basis, I didn't want to waste any of it on 'thinking' what to shoot. I wanted to 'leave the  blocks' at full speed, setting myself a limit of 15 minutes to get my prime shot. If that failed, I moved onto plan B with another 15 minutes. If that failed, I moved on to plan C. If that failed, plan D was invoked which is Panic! As I recall, I always got my plan A in 15 min. That was my personal challenge. Pressure always works.

America On The Move started at home. My impression of New York, based on what I had heard, was a city that never sleeps, always bustling and busy. How was I to show that in a two dimensional still image! Panning blur was my only tool I thought. Someone hailing a yellow cab (an American icon) speeding past them, I thought. I left home with that mental image. On arrival, the idea didn't look so good. Where to find a bustling crowd. Ah! Grand Central Terminal. I tried a few panning blurrs and a few static blurrs. Then I saw the large American Flag suspended. My lightbulb moment. Turn the camera vertical and incorporate that by panning with a nearby walker, following roughly the lines of the red and blue stripes. It was shot under plan A within 15 minutes, 1/2sec. hand held @ f11.  I did go on to shoot plans B and C which I will post in the 'outtakes/fun shots' that Stefan has started.

A special thanks to Pete (farnz) who, whether he realized it or not, was always my warm up shoot to tune my reflexes. Got a few to share in the other thread! 😋

Cheers to all for sharing your company with me.

John A

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, erl said:

(...)

My attitude is always, "if I am happy enough with my picture to submit it, then I am a winner", because I am the only one who has to live with it. I believe the same of all entrants. You are all winners if you have entered.

(...)

Well, I go with the same attitude but managed to end up with seven points at the other end of the sequence :)

Absolutely no regrets, though, I would hand in this picture again (#3 - people matter) and would like to thank everyone who voted for it, so apparently some people saw the same in it as I saw.

Taking care of the organizational stuff was also fun; I had been lobbying for New York as a location for the "regular" One Challenge in October for quite a while. Since we did Kyoto in 2015 and Melbourne in 2017, it offered itself then to keep our "long distance" biannual pattern.

By the way - any good location ideas for 2021?

Stefan

• Like 3

Thank you all! It's a privilege to be part of the Challenges, all the more so when in such company. I knew that whenever Erl took part the Challenge would prove, well... more challenging. John C., you beat me to it as I took the same picture (to be posted later in the outtakes) and it was my first choice to be posted for a while.

Everyone did their best and I would urge members to consider going to the 'regular' One Challenge in Seville in October; not only do you meet with fellow enthusiasts, see some equipment and generally enjoy the conviviality, but there is a particular tension when you set out, alone, and the clock starts ticking, your eyes, then, look around through an imaginery viewfinder (which is when you wonder why you didn't choose the other lens). Having gone through unfinished rolls of film several times, I now force myself to click a few times to get into it when I reach the area I heve recced the day before.

For the record, my camera was not an M8 but an MP. I was about to cross the street when I heard, behind me, the girl friends daring him to jump; he replied he'd do it for $20, they agreed, I turned and zapped.

Stefan: it's all due to you, in the end; you've promted us, organized it so that we couldn't refuse. It was a pleasure to be there and meet everyone. Again, thank you all!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1