Show us your Noctilux wide open shots

budjames

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

• Like 5

• Like 4

• Like 12

OK, so far I have seen one shot with a Noctilux that deserved a 'Thanks'. The rest are always aesthetic bo***cks where a bit more depth of field would have been useful.

I don't know why but a coffee cup in focus, while everything and everybody else is out of focus, makes me wonder about the sanity of shooting wide open ... and also the sanity of paying so much for a one-trick pony. Now I'll retreat to my bunker while the lovers of narrow DoF get their own back ... defending an in focus cup. 

• Like 4

Sometimes atmosphere is more important than plain sharpness...

But you can sleep quiet in your bunker. There is more than only the Noctilux in my camera bag ;-))

Could you please translate me your "aesthetic bo????what ever"?

• Like 6

May I add the small story behind using the lens at THIS wedding? I photographed the wedding of the bride's mother a littele more than 30 years ago with this lens. So it was a must to use it at this wedding too 😉 .

The lens was one of the first sold in Germany. Leitz Wetzlar managed it with Leitz Canada to get it in time for a trip to Red China in autumn 1977. I was quite glad to have this one-trick pony besides my other equipment. Using it for more than 40 years puts the "paying so much" in an affordable relation... (In 1977 it costed around 870€)

• Like 7

M10. 0.95 wide open

M10 gone fishing 

... dreaming

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SMAL said:

@Peter Kilmister I always only can shake my head about ALL your comments in all the Noctilux threads. 

Like everyone I am entitled to my opinions ... same as you. I owned a Noctilux f/0.95 and it was just a lump of glass that weighed over 700 grams, blocked the viewfinder, and, for me, has too narrow depth of field when used wide open. As someone who has been taking photos since 1957 it was anathema. There is an obsession going round that everything must be take at wide aperture. This is a very modern approach to which I don't subscribe ... a bit like drum and bass music compared to classical cello music. One side is fierce, the other is soft and gentle.

The best photos taken throughout the history of photography have used varied DoF. Henri Cartier-Bresson, David Bailey, Lord Snowdon, Cecile Beaton, and those unnamed late 19C photographers who spent days setting up their equipment to take some of the finest landscape shots ever taken used varied apertures. There is nothing wrong with wide open f/0.95 shots if that's what you like. Go ahead and do it because it won't bother me. So stop shaking your head. Everyone in the world is different. Just don't expect me to be impressed with a passing phase.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Peter Kilmister said:

Just don't expect me to be impressed with a passing phase.

And yet you seem to care about others’ use of a lens you don’t like.  There is so much other photography on this forum (some very good), but you chose to follow threads discussing a lens and photographs which don’t impress you ...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, IkarusJohn said:

And yet you seem to care about others’ use of a lens you don’t like.  There is so much other photography on this forum (some very good), but you chose to follow threads discussing a lens and photographs which don’t impress you ...

OK, fair enough, but someone says, "Doesn't the emperor look great in his new clothes", and I can see he is naked. Am I supposed to keep quiet?

• Like 2