Show us your Noctilux wide open shots

budjames

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, evikne said:

ISO 50 wouldn't be enough alone to shoot at f/1.0 in daylight, but in combination with a faster shutter it could be possible. 1/8000th sec. should be sufficient. 

ISO 50 and 1/8000 shutter would get us to ~f/1.4 on a bright sunny day.  Great for Summilux but still a little short for a Nocti wide open.  I too dislike NDs - I've tried most brands and they all vignette and distort colors to some degree.  I also find it cumbersome to put them on and take off as I move from outdoors to indoors (when traveling), especially having to first unscrew the hoods of the 28 lux or 35 lux.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ELAN said:

ISO 50 and 1/8000 shutter would get us to ~f/1.4 on a bright sunny day.  Great for Summilux but still a little short for a Nocti wide open.

I know it's one stop above the sunny 16 rule, but it would correspond to a 3 stop ND filter, and that's sufficient for me in the strongest sunlight at f/1.0, 1/4000th sec. and ISO 200. Maybe the sun is a little weaker here in my country. In addition it's possible to recover 1–2 EV from the highlights in post from an M10 at ISO 200. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, geddon_jt said:

having an electronic shutter for speeds faster than 1/4000 would help with that issue as well.

Yes, 1/32000th sec. exposure time would have been great!

Edited by evikne
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Cronilux said:

The focus shift on the f1 Noctilux is not really helping with that. Mine is tack sharp too, but in my humble opinion the Noctilux is made to be shot wide open. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE my Noctilux. :)

I completely agree with the part about shooting the Noctilux wide open. I was told by a very knowledgeable source that when Walter Mandler designed his version, he wanted to eliminate the aperture ring and just have the lens at a constant f/1.0. He was overruled. My copy does not have a focus shift problem. I recently had my friend Don Goldberg (DAG Repair) fine tune it and he did an amazing job. It's now sharp across the whole focus range.

vor 57 Minuten schrieb fotografr:

I completely agree with the part about shooting the Noctilux wide open. I was told by a very knowledgeable source that when Walter Mandler designed his version, he wanted to eliminate the aperture ring and just have the lens at a constant f/1.0. He was overruled. My copy does not have a focus shift problem. I recently had my friend Don Goldberg (DAG Repair) fine tune it and he did an amazing job. It's now sharp across the whole focus range.

Maybe I am wrong about the focus shift. Mine is perfectly adjusted and I use it either at f1 or f8. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, fotografr said:

I was told by a very knowledgeable source that when Walter Mandler designed his version, he wanted to eliminate the aperture ring and just have the lens at a constant f/1.0.

I have been dreaming of such a lens for a long time! But I didn't know this was actually considered. This Walter Mandler was truly a man after my own heart!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fotografr said:

Other f/stops wiped out with ease and taping the aperture ring is the way to go.

This is to match the other 1.0 at left 😉

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

life is so easy with two 1.0 lenses

(some years ago ! now it's another story )

on Kodachrome 25,

quite long time ago, probably with M5

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Other f/stops wiped out with ease and taping the aperture ring is the way to go.

This is to match the other 1.0 at left 😉

life is so easy with two 1.0 lenses

(some years ago ! now it's another story )

That would do the trick. Back in my Canon days I had their 50mmf/1.2. Beautiful lens. I've never held one of their f1.0 lenses. It's a monster compared to the Leica.

my son's eyes - Nocti 75

• Like 17

53 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Why isn’t there a ‘Show us your APO 50 Summicron shots wide open” thread?

because we've all been eagerly waiting for you to open one ;)

I guess people see that lens for different uses, at least by looking at the nifty fifty thread, but it is a lens has a lot of fans on this forum and I am sure that many would be happy to post on it

Edited by Fedro