Likelyhood of aftermarket TL zooms with OIS.

Any answer would be built on speculation. You might like to search for recent discussions on third-party possibilities following the announcement of the L-Alliance. If you need a lens which is available to order or to buy now, that might be the deciding factor.

If I needed or wanted a long, fast lens like that, I wouldn't have sold the Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280mm f/2.8-4 zoom I had with the SL kit. Big and heavy, but the best performing long-zoom lens I've ever owned. If I ever find myself needing that kind of AF, image stabilized lens again, I'll rent that one. 

I only rarely find myself needing such a long lens, however. I sold that one and kept my small, light Summicron-R 90mm f/2, Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8, and Elmar-R 180mm f/4 prime lenses, as well as a 2x Extender-R. Most of the time, the Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 is as long a lens as I want, but for small and light I can also fit the 75, 90, or 135 mm M lenses onto the CL.

With Panasonic and Sigma joining the L-Alliance I'm sure it won't be long before such a lens appears. That being said, "not long" is a relative term.

With the great results I get from the 55-135, I'm not inclined to look elsewhere.

I wouldn't count on too many APS-C lenses coming out of the L-Alliance with the size/performance characteristics of the Leica L/TL lenses for quite some time.

Forget about OIS for now. I use 2/f in the menu or simply Shutter Priority Mode on the longer TL lenses with a great deal of success.

Yes, there will be what? 14 L Mount lenses coming out, but they are big, heavy full frame lenses

-Brad

Edited by bherman01545

On 4/24/2019 at 3:04 AM, Dave in Wales said:

I'm almost certain I'll be ordering a 55-135 shortly or is it worth waiting for an aftermarket TL zoom with OIS, and at what cost.

Dave,

Before there was such a thing as image stabilization, we kept the shutter speed high enough to avoid motion blur. I still do it on Leica products because they have been loathe in the past to use stabilization. As a rule of thumb, set your maximum shutter time to 1/focal length of the lens. For a 23mm lens use 1/50sec or 1/60sec or higher. For a 90mm focal length use 1/90sec or faster, etc. For zoom lenses use 1/ the maximum focal length of the lens, etc. You will save money on the lens not †o mention the additional weight of a lens containing OIS. With the Leica SL, the added weight is not that big of a deal. But with the little CL, you may find the added weight of an OIS lens will unbalance your camera and you may end up adding a large grip to offset it. To me, that destroys the entire concept of the CL and the TL2 as well. That said, I would go for the current zoom lenses w/o OIS. Incidentally, the current T series zooms have marvelous IQ.

• Like 1