(idea): film-body for S lenses

tom0511

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I dont know if its ok to post here, if not please delete.

I think there is an increasing interest in film again.

The S lenses render beautiful, the camera has a great optical viewfinder, why not give us a film S body?

If the image circle is not large enough for 645, just crop it to 30x45. 

I know its an exotic request, but I believe if Leica makes digital camera without display, and MM, athey also could make a film S.

I would buy it. Opinions? 

Edited by tom0511
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, frame-it said:

Maybe a better use of resources >> make a 64mp monochrome S3 with double the memory buffer, PDAF on sensor, faster Dual maestro processors, dual UHS-II slots & add the 5.++MP EVF.

will probably Never happen though :(

PDAF on sensor, now that will solve everything!!! hahaha.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree that it is a little weird, but I would love this too. There is no comparison in handling to any other MF camera...I think if it could cover 645, which it probably cannot, it would be fantastic. But it is such a hard sell in 2019 (the S digital is hard enough...), that I can´t imagine it happening. We can dream though! 

7 minutes ago, frame-it said:

but what about the loads of Leica in-camera corrections for their lenses?

I have no idea about the things done in-camera, to be honest. And I am very curious to see how the S lenses behave on other digital and film cameras. 

I even approached several adapter manufacturers with the request to build the S-to-GFX AF adapter, nobody was interested. 

Edited by ynp

4 minutes ago, ynp said:

I have no idea about the things done in-camera, to be honest.

yep....tricky discussion..i seem to remember a cool photographer from LA who was torn apart on this forum because he talked about the SL-50 lux and its "real' output before the in-camera corrections on his blog and here

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

My friend is using his Hasselblad HCD lenses on his GFX50S and he says that he’s surprised how well the wide angle HCD lenses work on the Fuji, although it’s known that they need some software corrections. I don’t mind to be pleasantly surprised by Leica. 

• Like 2

As far as I understood it, the S lenses do not have software corrections. That was part of Leica's marketing at the time...I know that for my uses, I mostly keep the software corrections off in lightroom, as I found they do more harm than good in most of the lenses (especially the 120...the distortion is so low that "correcting" it just makes the image very slightly softer. I have also found that the CA reduction can cause problems around exposed lights which are totally absent when there is no correction). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stuart Richardson said:

As far as I understood it, the S lenses do not have software corrections. That was part of Leica's marketing at the time...I know that for my uses, I mostly keep the software corrections off in lightroom, as I found they do more harm than good in most of the lenses (especially the 120...the distortion is so low that "correcting" it just makes the image very slightly softer. I have also found that the CA reduction can cause problems around exposed lights which are totally absent when there is no correction). 

+1 (and very good points; there are normally downsides with 3rd party corrections).

• Like 1

Am 25.2.2019 um 22:30 schrieb John McMaster:

Why? If you are happy with film, it is far cheaper to get a Hasselblad V or Mamiya 67 (etc) kit together than an S one plus they all give larger negs/transparencies.....

john

Yes, but I like AF and therefore got myself a Hy6 with 2 lenses for a good price.

But I think the S lenses are so good and the body handles so nice, and while its not that much bigger than 35mm (and there is no 35mm AF camera from Leica) - why not?

I am sure it would be a great "tool"

• 5 months later...

Some months after this thread was started the idea of using our S lenses on an analog film camera came up again and so I have been doing some - not too bright I’m afraid - thinking about this because I really like the idea as do some others on this board. 

Warning: what follows is all wild speculation on my part 🙂

So basically we just need a light-tight box and a mechanism to insert and transport roll film - of which we'd waste quite a lot of real estate - and then we would need a Leica S mount on this light-tight box and we'd be good to go.

Of course there would be no way to measure the light, control exposure and composition and check focus, which is why we would need separate light- and distance-meters and luckily we have a distance window on our S lenses. Not extremely accurate, but you know, it’s just low-res film anyway (just kidding)

Composition could be checked by something like a Sony RX0 that we could glue on top of the camera. Of course we’d still need some electronics to control the shutter and and the aperture on the lens ...

Some different options:

-    My best plan: get Sony to make 30 x 45 mm translucent mirror reflecting 0,5-0,75 stops of light to a 5-10 MP sensor that would give us all the information we need in an electronic viewfinder, of course with a fast processor on board the camera to control on sensor PDAF, exposure and all that. We could use the basic S camera design for this and place the translucent mirror where the flapping mirror is now.

-    Another route and probably the easiest way would be to get someone to make an adapter for the Minolta or CaNikon mount film-DSLRs of yore and be done with it, but then we're stuck to small format. 

-    Use the basic S design with mirror box and all but put a film transport mechanism where the sensor is now. This could be roll film or small format so we could make some kind of mini Hasselblad X-Pan with 24x45mm.

-    Somehow use the L-Mount all the way into the corners and get a 30x45mm negative and have lots of other lens options available for analog shooting?

Of course, someone would still have to make a negative holder in 30x45 for my Epson V750 scanner 🙂

• Like 1

what about using an old Hasselblad film back that could attach to the S... similar in design to the old DMR.

Just a speculation to keep this speculative thread alive!!!!

Albert

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1