Flash advice for Leica M 240

Snap Happy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Please forgive me if this topic has been covered elsewhere. I'm doing a series of interiors. I don't carry around a tripod for this project due to logistical reasons. I use a flash-gun (Leica SF 40), and bounce the flash off the ceiling where possible. Even though most of the rooms are either domestic or domestic-scaled I think I need something more powerful than the SF 40. I don't have the funds for an SF 60. So my question is - can anyone recommend a more powerful flash that is affordable. I mostly use manual function, so lack of TTL isn't a deal breaker. Thanks.

YN660 is GN66 @ 199mm.  The SF 60 (Nissin i60A) is GN60 @ 200mm,  GN27 at 35mm.   I don't know what the YN 660 GN is at that zoom level.  I haven't seen any comparisons between the two flashes.

The 660 is on my list of "when I need a second flash" possible purchases.  I get buy with an old Canon 420 EX for now.

Non-ttl my Vivitar 283 works great as does a Sunpak 383-super, or Nikon flashes like the SB24-25-26 which can be found cheap because they don't fully integrate with latest digital Nikons I believe.   That said my favorite is my trusty Metz MZ53-3 with the Leica M6TTL/R8 M1 module.  What it does that the others don't is 1) picks up the ISO set on the camera, and 2) Zooms to match focal length of coded lenses.

• 1 month later...