Q beginner questions

Perage

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I've just bought my first Leica and I'm rapidly starting to get to know her, but like all fine ladies, everything is not always straight forward and clear :)

Hope you guys can help me out a bit;)

- In the live view, is says 4K, 3K etc. What is this? Is it the amout of pictures there is space for at the SD-card?

- I'm used to shooting a lot with auto iso, and with my previous Canon 6D, I could set shutter speed in 1/3 increments. Often I'd like to set max shutter to 1/80s or 1/100, but with the Q it seems like I have to choose between 1/60 and 1/125. I think I know the answer to this question, but I really don't understand why they have this limitation. 

- This I can't reproduce, but the other day I did exposure metering and I noticed the over/under-exposure bars became red. The LCD did show show the overexposed exposure, but when I took the picture, it was exposed to 0. I think it was is M mode with auto-iso and spot-metering, but I can't remember exactly. Can anyone explain why these red bars appeared, and what the camera tries to do?

- Last and final: What functions have you assigned to thumb and Fn button? I can't seem to decide, but now I have set thumb to AEL to BBF, and Fn to EVF-LCD switch, though I would also like a button for metering mode. 

Thanks in advance for your answers and recommondations :)

Answering your question about shutter speeds in between 1/60 and 1/125, the dial on the top of the camera forshutter speed allows selecting the course setting in 1 stop increments. Assuming you have the thumb wheel set to “Auto” in the Customize Control — Thumbwheel, by turning it you can select 1/80 or 1/100. 

Welcome to the forum. I recommend you spend a lot of time reading old posts in the Q forum. There’s a wealth of great information and it’ll save you a lot of time. The Q is a fantastic camera and especially after you learn its many great strengths and can work around its few shortcomongs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

When I set the zoom/lock button to AEL, or AFL, or anything except the useless "digital zoom" function, it shut down all other autofocus functions in the camera!  So that when I half-clicked the shutter release, it did nothing. And when I took pictures, they didn't autofocus! So I'm going to say that making any changes at all to the zoom/lock button (which is what you mean by "thumb", right?) is not ready for prime time at this point. Just don't do it, or you will then spend hours trying to figure out how you "broke" your camera. Someday, this button will be able to be reprogrammed to do something useful. I hope! But not yet.

The zoom / lock BUTTON is the button your thumb would naturally push near the top right of the camera. The Thumb WHEEL is the rotating wheel near the top right of the camera looking at the rear of course. I’ve never used the button as you describe so I can’t comment on how that works. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cartaufalous said:

When I set the zoom/lock button to AEL, or AFL, or anything except the useless "digital zoom" function, it shut down all other autofocus functions in the camera!  So that when I half-clicked the shutter release, it did nothing. And when I took pictures, they didn't autofocus! So I'm going to say that making any changes at all to the zoom/lock button (which is what you mean by "thumb", right?) is not ready for prime time at this point. Just don't do it, or you will then spend hours trying to figure out how you "broke" your camera. Someday, this button will be able to be reprogrammed to do something useful. I hope! But not yet.

I have to disagree with the "not ready for prime time" comment.   Some of us who like back button focus specifically do not want the camera to re-focus on half press.   We want to be able to

1) pick a focus point and hit the back button to set the focus

2) move the camera to get the desired exposure and half press the shutter button to lock exposure

3) move the camera a final time to get the desired framing and take the shot

Some times the steps are combined, but the desire is making all three steps -- set focus, set exposure, frame -- independent for maximum control.  Of course for the utmost in  control you'd go 100% manual, including focus.

Edited by marchyman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1