Prescott Hill Climb marshals' trophies

Graham (G4FUJ)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

(Wasn't sure whether this was the right area to post, but as there is a strong motor theme here I guess it is the correct area.  Photos from my Digilux2)

Each year at end of season there are three trophies awarded to Prescott marshals. I can't remember how long I have been a hill controller, but it is more than 15 years, very rarely missing a competition event. My name appears on one trophy from my early hill control days, for stepping into the breach when the regular control team gave it up. It was an ideal move for me as lower back problems prevented standing all day, so I could not remain on the bank for whole days.

This year I was awarded one of the other trophies - the Peter Stubberfield trophy:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Probably the first time any of the marshals have seen me lost for words! :)

The glass part of the trophy (difficult to photograph) is a Lalique Motor Mascot of the period 1920 to 1930.

The trophy also came with a keepsake:

Also difficult to photograph.

Made my weekend :D (still grinning now!).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

(Wasn't sure whether this was the right area to post, but as there is a strong motor theme here I guess it is the correct area.  Photos from my Digilux2)

Each year at end of season there are three trophies awarded to Prescott marshals. I can't remember how long I have been a hill controller, but it is more than 15 years, very rarely missing a competition event. My name appears on one trophy from my early hill control days, for stepping into the breach when the regular control team gave it up. It was an ideal move for me as lower back problems prevented standing all day, so I could not remain on the bank for whole days.

This year I was awarded one of the other trophies - the Peter Stubberfield trophy:

The glass part of the trophy (difficult to photograph) is a Lalique Motor Mascot of the period 1920 to 1930.

Congratulations, Graham!  I have heard of Bugatti cars but did a wiki and visited the Prescott website and learned a lot.  I might misunderstand the Stubberfield award, but it looks like it's awarded to the Club member winning the 'B" license challenge, and it sounds like the "B" license is a class of cars.  Is this correct? 

Ray

• Thanks 1

There are two Ray.

One as you state, which will be presented at the annual awards dinner. 

The other, which I received last weekend.

I believe the second one came about when the original disappeared for a while many years ago (was taken by a club committee member to have the plaque engraved with name and year of the winner). No one could remember who had it and eventually, presumed lost, an insurance claim was filed. A second trophy was procured from the insurance money. Subsequently, when clearing out an old caravan near the paddock prior to disposal, the original trophy was discovered in a drawer under the bunk! It is the second trophy that is presented to the "B" license winner.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

There are two Ray.

One as you state, which will be presented at the annual awards dinner. 

The other, which I received last weekend.

I believe the second one came about when the original disappeared for a while many years ago (was taken by a club committee member to have the plaque engraved with name and year of the winner). No one could remember who had it and eventually, presumed lost, an insurance claim was filed. A second trophy was procured from the insurance money. Subsequently, when clearing out an old caravan near the paddock prior to disposal, the original trophy was discovered in a drawer under the bunk! It is the second trophy that is presented to the "B" license winner.

Congratulations again and thanks for explaining your trophy.  It's great to be thanked and recognized for your work.   

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2018 at 3:52 AM, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

Graham, thought you might enjoy this clip about Bugattis.  https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2018/10/17/bugatti-chiron-divo-volkswagen-fastest-production-car.cnn-business/video/playlists/business-drive-cars/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...