Leica MP and battery issues

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had my Leica MP for a little over a year.  Lately, the battery doesn't seem to be working to use the light meter.  I first noticed it about a month ago when a light seemed to indicate I needed a new battery to use the light meter which seemed odd because i didn't think it was so long ago that I put a new one in.  Nevertheless I replaced it with a new battery and about a week or so later, the light meter would not turn on when it was supposed to.  I took the battery out, wiped it off and put it back in.  It seemed to work for about a minute but then stopped again.  Anyone know what the issue is?

Do you store the camera in a bag, where the shutter might be lightly pressed while stored? If so that might cause the battery to empty quickly. Try turning the meter off or storing the camera differently. If that doesn't change anything there might be a real problem. 

• Like 1

If your battery is flat, it has discharged for some reason and that's more than likely down to you.  Set the shutter speed dial to B/OFF before you put your camera away in your bag.  If you don't do that, the meter is still switched on and will drain the battery if there is sufficient pressure on the release from something in your bag.

If your battery is not flat there is a problem with your camera.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Clean the battery contacts with alcohol or contact cleaner.

Install new silver oxide batteries. Buy two sets so you have a backup in case of premature failure. Batteries are cheap.

Do not use alkaline batteries as these do not last as long, and do not hold constant voltage as they discharge.

My MP seemed to run down its new (silver oxide) batteries in about a month. I purchased another set and installed them. Still good after 2 years. Even with in-date branded batteries, you can get a bad batch.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello, one morning on a trip my battery was found out to be dead. I believe I left on in the bag. After finding the correct battery ( in Mexico City) proved to be a chore, I put the battery in and turned on the meter and nothing ... I shot the rest of the trip by guessing exposure or using that  phone app. After getting home I ordered 3 batteries off amazon, and installed them and now nothing. At this point I knew it was my camera and dreaded having to send it back to Leica. 

On a whim, I installed the battery upside down and it worked. Turns out that Leica misprinted the sticker or labeling inside the terminal. Still on that battery, and I have 3 back ups, lol. 

53 minutes ago, agiknee said:

Hello, one morning on a trip my battery was found out to be dead. I believe I left on in the bag. After finding the correct battery ( in Mexico City) proved to be a chore, I put the battery in and turned on the meter and nothing ... I shot the rest of the trip by guessing exposure or using that  phone app. After getting home I ordered 3 batteries off amazon, and installed them and now nothing. At this point I knew it was my camera and dreaded having to send it back to Leica. 

On a whim, I installed the battery upside down and it worked. Turns out that Leica misprinted the sticker or labeling inside the terminal. Still on that battery, and I have 3 back ups, lol. 

First time I hear this "misprinted label" 😵.

Used some Leica Ms and Rs since long, hard to believe this could happen.

Please share a picture of the battery holder with label.

Never aware that there is a sticker or label on or inside the terminal (plain steel spring).

Edited by a.noctilux

On 1/4/2019 at 2:03 PM, a.noctilux said:

First time I hear this "misprinted label" 😵.

Used some Leica Ms and Rs since long, hard to believe this could happen.

Please share a picture of the battery holder with label.

Never aware that there is a sticker or label on or inside the terminal (plain steel spring).

https://imgur.com/a/zQlAm2n

Hope you can make sense of these horrible pics. I got olive oil on my cell while cooking and hadn't wiped it down.