6 Bit Coding + Adjustment, Wetzlar

Letin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a an Elmarit 90/2 late model and a Summilux 35/1.4 Asph. 6 bit coded by Will Van Manen at Kamera-Service in two week and a very reasonable cost (at the time was both at 100 €, but it's almost 6 years ago). The work was very accurate.

Thanks for adding another reputable service centre to the list!

Good thread. As a result of the info I called Don Goldberg at DAG and have arranged to have some repair and 6-bit coding done to my 28mm f2.8 Elmarit v2. Thanks again.

Great! please report back your experience! I'm still trying to decide where to send which lenses. Want to try both Don & Wetzlar. Truth is most of my lenses that need servicing aren't very high value, except the 75 APO summicron M. Hopefully the cost would justify fixing them. For example my 90 2.8 tele-elmarit has very loose aperture ring that needs serving badly, also want to 6-bit code most of them for EXIF purpose. In the mean time "these cheap" lower value vintage glass perform wonderfully, I want to keep them in good shape and updated.

A "Pro Forma" invoice will simplify customs processing at the receiving end. That is why they need it. In practice you can enter any value you like, I find.

I have never used Leica in the US, but I have sent quite a few lenses and cameras to Solms and now Wetzlar. In every single case the quality of the work performed has been of the highest order, but they know how to charge you for it.

Actually, in my last order, they didn`t. This was a 2.0/28mm Summicron-M which was a few years old, and despite careful use it developed quite some play in the mount. It was returned to me free of charge, in a better condition than it had ever been.

Thank you Ivar for speaking your experience. I gather Wetzlar costs the most but result is best, not saying Don or other reputable service centres lack anything.

Letin,  I just read your question in your Post #20.  The 90mm f/2.8 Elmarit that I owned was superb until Leica NJ messed it up. Once repaired correctly, it was excellent once again.  Excellent color, resolution and contrast.  Unfortunately, a former friend asked to borrow the lens for his fishing trip.  Big mistake.  It wound up in the lake.  I would have gotten another one but some 90 Elmarits are known of haze and I simply went out and purchased a new 90mm Summicron.  I am certain your repair/coding experience with Don Goldberg or Wetzlar will go in an outstanding manner.  Be sure to let Don know how soon you need the lenses back and he will do his best to meet your deadline.  Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

Letin,

I have had 2 repairs done by Gerry Smith at Kindermann and was very happy with the results. He would not do 6-Bit coding on my 75mm Summilux-M though. When I wanted a 90mm Elmarit-M 6-Bit coded I sent it directly to Leica NJ. The job took 4-5 months but the lens came back in good shape. My last dealings with Gerry was 2 years ago. I do not know if he is still working.

I’ve had no problems with customs when shipping lens or cameras to either Leica Wetzlar or Leica NJ. I’ve always marked the customs export form stating the lens or body is used, going for repair, and then to be returned .