Nikon and Canon have now entered the FF mirrorless market.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As best as I can tell, I still like my Q, even with the 28MM fixed lens.  I knew before I purchased my Q that the single fixed lens would be fine for me as I had one on my Lumix M4/3 camera and hd used it a good bit. I also have a Nikon DSLR crop sensor and Nikon glass; however, the Nikon mirrorless does not interest me one bi even though I could use the lenses with an adaptor. Curious as to what other think.

I am keeping my Q forever... give or take a month.

Had the Nikon Z6 on order but cancelled it when Canon announced the EOS R system with compatibility for my other Canon glass.

Different tools for different uses.

The Q is aways with me.

The Canon gear is used when appropriate.

• Like 4

I am keeping my Q forever... give or take a month.

Had the Nikon Z6 on order but cancelled it when Canon announced the EOS R system with compatibility for my other Canon glass.

Different tools for different uses.

The Q is aways with me.

The Canon gear is used when appropriate.

Agree entirely. Horses for courses. The Q is a brilliant supplement to my D850. And having a D850 I can see no basis for moving to a Z (Zee or Zed). The story might be different if I had a crop sensor Nikon and FF glass. But that would be quite separate to what I did with the Q. No comparison as each has a different role.

• Like 2

It's the new EOS R glass that is most drool worthy, especially the nearly $3000 USD 28-70 f2. That and the 50 f1.2 are what will get people to buy in, but those lenses are HUGE. I wish I could put them on a 5DIV, where the size would be more appropriate; those lenses on the R body skate dangerously close to looking comic. The body itself is not something to get all excited about; it's a 6D in a mirrorless package. 3 fps? Yeah, I don't see sports shooters jumping all over that. I still wouldn't ditch my Q, because that's what I use for street and travel, which is what I do mostly. The 5DIV is for sports and landscapes and studio work. But that 28-70... 

• Like 1

It's the new EOS R glass that is most drool worthy, especially the nearly $3000 USD 28-70 f2. That and the 50 f1.2 are what will get people to buy in, but those lenses are HUGE. I wish I could put them on a 5DIV, where the size would be more appropriate; those lenses on the R body skate dangerously close to looking comic. The body itself is not something to get all excited about; it's a 6D in a mirrorless package. 3 fps? Yeah, I don't see sports shooters jumping all over that. I still wouldn't ditch my Q, because that's what I use for street and travel, which is what I do mostly. The 5DIV is for sports and landscapes and studio work. But that 28-70... 

You are so right!  The new lenses, however, are too deep in the mound for a mirrored body.  Would be nice to use them on my other bodies.

But the Q is my art tool!  Hope they never change it and I replace it in 20 years after 500,000 shutter actuations and firmware 99.6...

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I now see that Panasonic just jumped into the FF camera arena as well.  I also see that it will be able to use a Leica lens and that Panasonic plans on issuing a number of its own lens before 2020.  But really what caught my eye was the fact that you could get a 50mm 1,4 lens today to go on the new camera.  This is what people want for the proposed Q2.  So there you go, but, before you thake a blind leap at this combination, take a look at the size of the new 50mm (huge).  If the Q2 where to parrallel this with a similar lens, then no thanks .  My Q is looking good at this point.

My Canon EOS-R is on order and I've downloaded the manual,

The Leica Q has the ultimate user interface IMHO... it will remain with me everywhere. 

I can set options on the R (in Fv mode) to act like my Q settings:

• Aperture on the lens (where it belongs!)
  • Exposure Compensation on the rear dial (ala Q)
  • ISO on the front dial (love that idea)
  • Color balance on the touch bar above the CD.

And like the Q, I can watch things change as I change settings.  Brilliant!  Sold my 6D but keeping all the glass.

• Like 1