Widening the scope of Leica Challenge Berlin 2007: "Innovation inspired by Leica"

aXs

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I propose widening the scope of Leica Challenge Berlin 2007:

"Innovation inspired by Leica"

In addition to the traditional "Leica Challenge" of one full day's shooting (ie "one day, one roll of 36 negatives or 36 digital images) - Send in your suggestions: How to make the next Leica Challenge (Berlin 2007) event a really different kind of event.

We all know there is a lot of talent and energy on the LUG forum - just look at John Milch's industrial design innovations, Jamie Roberts color profiles and Luigi's "Leicatime" leatherworks. There is innovation in the way Sean Reid presents his camera/lenses reviews as a "work-in-progress".

Why don't we all nominate movers-and-shakers out there - who are "Inspired by Leica"...

Axel

Axel Sanders

Hi Alex, I'm probably being stupid but I can't quite see what you're asking for. Are you talking about something for the Berlin group to do, or do you mean the members here in the forum nominate people?

And why choose the digital forum to announce it <grin>

Axel, I don't think you understand what the One Challenge is about. There is nothing to stop you proposing and setting up something to recognise the people you are talking about - a great idea - but why dilute it?

Regards,

Bill

...something to recognise the people you are talking about - a great idea...

stunsworth and bill,

as I said, I see it as a project for widening the scope of the upcomming event - to include "innovation" presented from Leica-users and LUG forum members - (not employees of the Leica Camera AG). A lot of information is in the LUG archives.

It's not even sure if this year's event really takes place in Berlin, or someplace else.

Regarding the tradition of the Leica Challenge - it is about getting Leica-users together in the context of a Leica-photography event - (one full shooting-day, one roll of film/36 negatives or 36 digital images).

I chose the digital forum to announce the project because it is more techie/geeky oriented and if I compare reading the discussions in other areas within the LUG forum - there are more innovations - industrial design, software, methods for testing/reviewing, color-profiles etc.

There is a lot of talent and energy on the LUG forum. Leica-photography events should be coupled with "Leica inspired Innovations" - to recognise Leica-users and their innovators.

Axel

Axel Sanders

It's not even sure if this year's event really takes place in Berlin, or someplace else...

It's in Berlin, absolutely no doubt about that <grin>.

But I'm still confused about what you are proposing. Is it a vote during the challenge, nominations for an award, a series of talks from people describing what they see as the most important innovation? Does it just cover products introduced in the previous 12 months? I'm really struggling to work out what you are asking.

...nominations for award, a series of talks...people describing what they see as the most important innovation...

Steve, as you wrote, the idea is about gathering nominations for award, a series of talks, identifing innovations/ new product ideas related to Leica-photography.

Look at Adobe and Apple road-shows - but in this case, it should be a "grass roots" thing comming directly from the community, LUG forum members, Leica-users - on the theme "Innovation Inspired by Leica".

What are your suggestions, since you will obviously travel to Berlin

Axel

Axel Sanders

Axel, what happens at the event is I guess up to the people who attend. Personally I'm happy for it to remain as it is - that is a chance to meet and talk to forum members, have a couple of drinks, and then take some snaps. But if other people want to do something different then that's ok provided the majority agree. The challenge is its participants, and its participants are the challenge.

Imants, I look forward to talking to Mick, I'm sure he'll have a lot to say <grin>.

...[he] will make sure everyone who is everyone is there...775284346_2f5546651d.jpg

stnami, how about some positive energy...you too are part of the LUG - therefore part of the "community of everyones". Why don't you give me some suggestions from your experience from the fineart side of things... as you stated you are doing experiments (fineart printing, papers and matte inks etc). As you may know, various new types of HP-large format printers were lent by HP to Magnum-guys in NYC to play around with. Maybe that kind of sponsor could could be arranged for Berlin - for a "new" kind of Leica Challenge event.

Axel

Axel Sanders

...what happens at the event...a chance to meet and talk to forum members...take some snaps. ...provided the majority agree...

stunsworth, that is exactly why I am posting this - to see if there is a majority of LUG forum members interested in widening the scope of the Leica Challenge beyond "taking some snaps" in Berlin at the event<grin>

What is your opinion about Apple and Adobe road-shows?

Axel

Axel Sanders

Guest stnami

Axel.................... Mick can't make it to Europe as he cannot use his squirrel hunting license there....... anyway it's black money here no HP (Hire Purchase)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

stnami, you stated you are doing experiments with fineart printing, papers and matte inks etc. Maybe a sponsor like HP could could be arranged for Berlin - for a "new" kind of Leica Challenge event.

As I already asked you, would you care to offer your thoughts about widening the scope of Leica Challenge (and leave the insider jokes aside?) Would you consider travelling to Europe for the event in October? Or helping to arrange a group-travel arrangements for other LUG members from "down under"?

Axel

Axel Sanders

Axel, I think one of the problems is that the more complicated you make this, the less likely we are to fund a volunteer to organise it.

The event originally started as a way of meeting other forum members, and last year we added an evening meal. This has already made it more complicated than before as the organiser has to get an idea of how many people will be attemding in the evening, book somewhere etc. If you make it into a more formal event with presentations and so on, then it will be even more complicated to organise. The current format is essentially meet, have a beer and a chat, take some photographs, have a beer and a chat, return to home/hotel, meet for a meal. Personally - and it's my personal opinion - I'm not that interested in geting someone from Apple or Epson to give us a presentation, if other people are then that's fine.

As I say, this is just my opinion, other people may feel differently. Also, I'm sure if you paid for Imants' air fare he'd consider coming over to give us all a talk - even if poor Mick would have to be left at home to shoot small furry animals.

I applogise if I'm misrepresenting what you were saying.

...the event started as a way of meeting other forum members... I'm not interested in getting someone from Apple or Epson to give us a presentation... I applogise if I'm misrepresenting what you were saying.

stunsworth, sure, you applogise - but at the same time you misrepresent the tenor of what I am saying. For the record, I never suggested that third-parties such as Apple, Adobe, HP and Epson should be invited to the Leica Challenge to make presentations or sales pitches to LUG members.

All I said was if these companies can organise "road shows" for their customers, then why can't Leica Camera AG get involved in a similiar way and do the same for us?

There are far more German-language subscribers of LFI-magazine, than those abroad. With one small editorial mention - in a timely way - there would be many more participants to the event in Berlin. To everyone's benefit.

Did you make the effort to see Leica Camera AG's presentation and stand-design in Las Vegas or in Cologne? I am thinking along those lines and to me, it makes sense to widen the scope of the Leica Challenge event (Berlin? or maybe another city would be a better choice?) - there is enough time to change the event.

Axel

Axel Sanders

stunsworth, you also stated "if you paid for Imants' air fare...to give us a talk" .

Do you need your air fare paid for too?

Did you make the effort to see Leica Camera AG's presentation and stand-design in Las Vegas or in Cologne?

No, I've been to trade shows in the past and found them boring.

I assumed when you mentioned the other manufacturers you were proposing that they show their products, as you've mentioned that was not your intention.

As for changing the Berlin event, as I said earlier I'm just one person amongst the participants, I can't speak on behalf of other people. My own preference is to keep it as it is. I don't think changing the location makes any sense what so ever at this stage. Several people have already booked flights and hotel rooms.

Oh, and thanks for the offer on the airfare, but it's already paid.

Axel,

I've followed this thread with interest.

As I said before, I think you have an interesting idea. However, you are lacking an understanding of what has gone on before. I originated the One Challenge a couple of years ago. Steve's already explained the idea behind it. I looked at sponsorship then, from Leica, from Amateur Photographer, etc but it both fell into the "too hard" box for me, and into the "too small to sponsor" box for the organisations I approached - a view that I totally understood. We did, however, get a page on the back of the Leica newsletter the first year, and last year they provided an autographed book for the winner. That's as much as we can expect, IMHO.

The One Challenge is a SOCIAL EVENT and it is FUN. What it is not is a po-faced, over-serious salon, nor an opportunity for a highly select target audience to be sold at by a sponsor. The Barnack Challenge, running now, could be seen as "Son of One", in that the principles are broadly similar and it is, again, fun. Anyone can join in. I for one would be delighted to see you, and as many other people as want to make the trip.

As I have said already, I like your ideas, and would encourage you to take them further, but I would urge you not to underestimate the effort required, and the time (and lead-time) it would take to pull them together.

Could someone please inform what the challange is all about. Is it a official leica seminar, an exhibiton or what?

Nikolaj, you can see them in this thread...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/10027-numbers-berlin-challenge-13-10-07-a.html

the rules are at message number 73.

I've asked Andy Barton to start a new thread as we now know what the rules are and where we'll be meeting on the day, but to summarise, the idea is that we all take up to 36 frames and select one of them for submission to the challenge. The photographs are displayed anonymously and voted on. When the voting is completed the person with the most points wins. The 'prize' will be be the entrance fee that we all paid on the day of the challenge. Last year Leica also provided a signed photography book for the winner and a small lapel badge for each participant, it would be nice to think that they would do something similar this year.

The important thing on the day is that you select your image from the 36 frames and you are only allowed to use one body and lens. If you have a zoom lens then you have to use it at a stated focal length. Obviously if you want to take shots for your personal use after the 36 you are free to use any film/ISO/lens you wish for those.

But perhaps even more important that the above is that the day is intended to be fun and give people a chance to meet other forum members.

you can see [the rules] this thread...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/10027-numbers-berlin-challenge-13-10-07-a.html ... the rules are at message number 73... last year Leica [Leica Camera AG] provided a signed photography book for the winner and lapel badges for participants...

stunsworth,

I have looked at the "Leica Forum" PDF-file that you suggested to palmskov regarding the "rules" ( message #73) - but this PDF-file (3-10-2007) is outdated.

Note, all forum members were informed by email from Andreas Juergensen - that for legal reasons in Germany - the URL "www.leica-camera-forum.com would be changed to "www.l-camera-forum.com". The new legal owner (responsible company/person under German law §10 Ab.3 MDStV) is "Juergensen.net - Andreas Juergesen", Projektmanagement, Bonn, Germany.

Leica Camera AG, Solms has granted a license to use the Leica trademark to "Juergensen.net - Andreas Juergensen" for the "Leica Camera Forum"

Therefore to correct you : a Leica Forum (ie l-camera-forum.com) provided and assisted "Challenge"-event has in fact become an "official Leica event".

An updated PDF-file should name the organiser of the event(s) "Challenge One" (Barnack II, LFI, LUG or whatever) as "Leica Camera Forum / Juergensen.net - Andrea Juergensen, Bonn, Germany" (with contact details).

Getting back to my starting point... " the widening of the scope of the event"...

(and also to include LFI-magazine subscribers together with LUG-members)

Axel

Axel Sanders