To Use a Half Case or Not To Use

david.kize

Just a benign look backwards. We can recall the complaints of Leica making digital M cameras too thick.

Now that we have the M10 of classic dimensions,  some prefer to make them even thicker with a leather body wrap. So goes the thin metric.

If Leica approved of body cases they  would make  them.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

I use the Leica-branded leather half cases on my M10s, my Q and on my CL.  Gives great protection and more grip.  The one downside with the M10's Leica half case is that it must be fully removed each time you need to recharge the battery and to remove the SD memory card.  But, with the M cameras we all half to remove the bottom plate as well to access the battery and memory card. The Q and CL half leather cases allow for a simple flap to open.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use the Leica-branded leather half cases on my M10s, my Q and on my CL.  Gives great protection and more grip.  The one downside with the M10's Leica half case is that it must be fully removed each time you need to recharge the battery and to remove the SD memory card.  But, with the M cameras we all half to remove the bottom plate as well to access the battery and memory card. The Q and CL half leather cases allow for a simple flap to open.

So do M10 half cases:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Now that we have the M10 of classic dimensions,  some prefer to make them even thicker with a leather body wrap. So goes the thin metric.

An excuse to have a fashion parade is never far away from Leica. The first company to make 'attrape' blanks to fit into a half case will make a fortune, and save people the expense of buying a camera.  :lol:

Good enough for the Queen, good enough for me. Cheers! jc[/url]

Wrong Queen. This would be ours:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I use Luigi half-cases for both my M240 and M8 with the rear flap and the full top-to-bottom handgrip. For me, this makes the camera easier to handle (yes, I have large hands also). The cases also give me peace of mind (whether purely psychological or not) that there is some added protection to the body and display (especially the display for the M8 which I feel deserves a little extra protective consideration).

I only use my Luigi, a beautiful thing to own btw, when I go out without a bag and especially when I have two camera’s on my neck or shoulder so they don’t harm eachother. Mostly the halfcase on my M9 with a long strap and the MM1 naked with a short strap.

Different situations ask for different ways of carrying, hiding, showing, etc. your camera’s, so I can’t say halfcases are indispensable or superfluous. Handy to own one for special situations. It’s a form of weather sealing too.

The best reason to not use my halfcase is the obstruction of the battery or sd-card change. Luigi has a solution for that but makes the case bulkier I suspect.

Edited by otto.f

• 3 weeks later...

Winter is coming and after 6 months of "case free shooting" I will probably get a half case. I often left my M9-P at home, or quickly put it back in my bag, when I was out shooting during the winter. Even with gloves the body felt freezing, especially when the temperatur drops below -10. 

But i still think the M looks the best without any case 🙂