No T system support for new SF 60 flash?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the official announce for the new SF 60 flash unit, Leica mentions compatibility with all of their interchangeable camera bodies except the TL series. Is this just an omission? I downloaded the accompanying PDF, but I don’t see any mention of compatible cameras, and the B&H product listing also excludes the TL series.

I’ve been holding off on buying a flash for my TL2 because I knew this was coming out, is Leica done with with this series of camera? It’s crazy that the CL would have support, but the TL2 wouldn’t.

From Leica Support:

"...the electronics on-board of the T/TL and the X Series of cameras are different and unfortunately do not support compatibility with the SF 60 flash. Though they don't offer the same wireless control, the SF 40 and SF 64 are compatible for TTL control."

Bummer. Leaves me with the feeling that Leica doesn't take the TL seriously anymore  :(

Well, to be honest, the T series cameras are basically meant as a stylish carry-anywhere system. That is not the type of system that needs a heavy/powerful flash unit. It is a surprise that the SF64 is compatible. It dwarfs the camera.

The CL is more photographic tool-like, but even if it is compatible with the SF60,  I don't think that it will be used often with such a flash, which is more aimed at the SL.

Having said that, I think it is not so much that Leica takes  such rationalisations into account in their designs, I think the main cause is that Nissin determines the electronic capabilities.

Though it is surprising and disappointing for someone who just has a T/TL2 and wants to try it, I certainly wouldn't think of that camera as a good vehicle for off-camera flash, simply because putting anything in the hotshoe stops you using the EVF that I would see as necessary in those cases.

I wouldn't interpret it as Leica not taking the T/TL2 seriously, just that the T/TL2 is not a serious camera for such flash work! (and I am a fan of the TL2, and still miss its ergonomics now I have the CL).