Need help with my new SL

hendriphile

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My SL was working fine today, then suddenly became paralyzed. The automatic functions ceased working and when I tried to take a picture, the red LED on the back of the camera flashed on and off, signaling “error“. I removed the grip, put it back on, removed the batteries, put them back, did a factory reset which wiped out all my settings, all had no effect and the red LED “Error” flashes whenever I try to take a picture.

Has anyone encountered this sort of a problem before? Any suggestions?

If you wind up taking your SL to your dealer, I highly racommend trading it in on a Nikon "pro" DSLR, maybe the D850.

Why would you write that??? Even though the SL isn’t perfect,,, most of us here love it.

I cam from the Nikon camp... and happy with both my SL and Q.

• Like 3

Thanks all, for the advice. Still status quo. Disappointing in a camera with less than 200 exposures but we tend to forget that today’s digital cameras are really computers with lenses attached & it looks like a case of a bad computer. I don’t relish sending it to New Jersey but there may be no choice.

Thanks all, for the advice. Still status quo. Disappointing in a camera with less than 200 exposures but we tend to forget that today’s digital cameras are really computers with lenses attached & it looks like a case of a bad computer. I don’t relish sending it to New Jersey but there may be no choice.

You don’t Have to. Just get it replaced with a new one at your dealer. Just insist on it. I had an issue with my SL which occurred about 2 months after purchase. I took it back to my dealer and told them that having paid £8000 for the body and the 24-90 Lens, and not knowing whether the issue was lens related or body related, that they should replace both with new ones. Because they were reputable, they did without any push back. I guess I was lucky but my starting point in your case would be to have it replaced if it is that new.

All the best whatever the outcome.

Edited by Guest

My SL was working perfectly for 4 months when I bought it in Feb 17 until I bought the SL grip in Jun 17.  2 weeks into using the grip, I started to have problems with the SL even though it was running on FW3.0.

The SL would intermittently power on & off, and reboot itself, the screen will flicker on and off, the red LED light will light up for no reason, the grip's joystick, front and rear dial would not work at all.  

When I sent it back to Leica, they told me that I had to reset my SL back to factory settings.  When they did that, the grip and SL works perfectly until now.  So, may you might wanna try and reset your SL again.  But save your settings into the SD card first.  

Edited by fotonutzz
  • Like 1

Resolution!

We had tried removing the battery and quickly replacing it.    The problem persisted.

So: We removed the battery and KEPT it removed for a long time, with the power on, until the power had totally discharged from the circuits. 

THEN put the battery back in and turned it back on.

It worked, and continues to work, with the grip attached.

Hope this helps others who have had this problem.  Apparently, attaching the grip somehow confused the in-camera computer.

Edited by hendriphile
  • Like 1

Resolution!

We had tried removing the battery and quickly replacing it.    The problem persisted.

So: We removed the battery and KEPT it removed for a long time, with the power on, until the power had totally discharged from the circuits. 

THEN put the battery back in and turned it back on.

It worked, and continues to work, with the grip attached.

Hope this helps others who have had this problem.  Apparently, attaching the grip somehow confused the in-camera computer.

Thanks for the info.

How long did you leave the battery out ?

Did the camera retain the user settings or was it back to factory settings ?

Thanks for the info.

How long did you leave the battery out ?

Did the camera retain the user settings or was it back to factory settings ?

The battery was left out for three days.

When it came back to life, the user settings were wiped out and it reverted to the factory settings.

Yes, it will be a pain to recreate the user settings, but it's better than sending it out.

The same happened to the SL of a fellow photographer on a landscape course ....... by the time he had sent it to Wetzlar it had mysteriously resurrected itself and was sent back as 'arrived in working order' ...... presumably a similar issue.....

Edited by thighslapper

On a side note also regarding the grip: Has anyone found the grip to draw more power from the battery even when the camera is not in use? I have 3 batteries and 2 SL's and I've done enough swapping of bodies and batteries to rule out everything but the grip itself. Seems odd to me why it would have a draw.

My SL was working fine today, then suddenly became paralyzed. The automatic functions ceased working and when I tried to take a picture, the red LED on the back of the camera flashed on and off, signaling “error“. I removed the grip, put it back on, removed the batteries, put them back, did a factory reset which wiped out all my settings, all had no effect and the red LED “Error” flashes whenever I try to take a picture.

Has anyone encountered this sort of a problem before? Any suggestions?

If it's only got 200 frames, presumably you are inside a month or so of use.  I expect any reputable dealer will consider that "dead on arrival" and offer to just replace it with no wait time.  They are not in short supply any longer, so it's not like you'd have to wait for it to be ordered for you.  I'd just take it back to the dealer you got it from and ask for a new one. Don't even mess with the "wait three days" stuff.  While that might work, it's not going to inspire confidence that your camera is reliable.  

There is one catch to be aware of when a new camera has teething problems.  The dealer can give you a new one if you can bring back all the original packaging and accessories.  I got caught on this with a Fuji T-2 a few years back which had a bad sensor.  I had picked it up while traveling and left the boxes and documents along the way.  We had to send the camera back to Fuji for evaluation etc., which took several months with all the shipping.  Local dealers are a good thing!