What is the turnaround time for CCD sensor replacement?

kuad82001

Guest jvansmit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My MM went in May 22, 2017 and just returned today.  

so depressing...mine has just started to show signs of corrosion, and I recently bought a new 28mm Lux which will now hibernate for a few months it seems :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I received an email from Leica NJ yesterday that my Monochrom will be headed back to me within the week.  So excited to be getting it back. I sent it and my M9p in for sensor replacement last May, one day after Leica announced the changes to the sensor replacement program. I was thrilled to get my M9p back last September, and have eagerly been awaiting the return of the Monochrom. Should be any day now!

M-E returned fast from Wetzlar about two months, but Monochrom lasted almost six months, now I have both back and sensors and everything is beautiful.

I must say, I sent Wetzlar Monochrom body one month in advance, so delay was no more than five months, time worth every minute.

Just moments ago I received an email from Customer Service in New Jersey that my MM (sent to Leica NJ early last August) is also being sent to Germany.

Since it obviously would be cheaper to send the sensor and related parts to NJ - and presumably the entire cost of sensor replacement would be less with that approach - it remains quite curious that Leica is now shifting gears and having all cameras sent to Wetzlar.  It suggests that something else is or has been an issue.

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic that my camera heading to Wetzlar is a good sign.  But I'd sure love to know what's going on vis-a-vis New Jersey!

Guest jvansmit

Just learned my MMI is being sent to Germany for repair! What would estimate is my wait time now? Thanks for any insights. Tom

I swapped emails with Leica Customer Care in Wetzlar at the beginning of March with a query about where I could drop off my MM1 here in Hong Kong (as the boutique declined to help and the local HK service people didn't bother to answer my emails).

Wetzler Customer Care were very helpful until my last email when I specifically asked for a repair time estimate ....I didn't get a reply to that email. :huh:

Well, my Monochrom Type I is now at the Leica Hotel in Allendale, N.J.  for a sensor replacement.  I took it over there personally on March 12th.  I will keep you all posted on the progress.  Glad I was able to get it back to Leica for the sensor replacement before the 5 year cutoff date.

Cheers!

Edited by wilfredo
  • Like 1

Guest jvansmit

Well, I took my MM1into the new Hong Kong service centre today. Five months I was quoted.

A couple of things surprised me:

- the sensor will be replaced in Shanghai (not Wetzlar)

- and they are charging me US$90 to ship it there :(

Edit: Leica HK just called me to let me know that I won't be charged for shipping (or sensor replacement)  :) . They also gave me the option of having the sensor replaced in Germany or Shanghai so I opted for Shanghai.

Edited by jvansmit

Well, I took my MM1into the new Hong Kong service centre today. Five months I was quoted.

A couple of things surprised me:

- the sensor will be replaced in Shanghai (not Wetzlar)

- and they are charging me US$90 to ship it there :(

Is Shang-lar something known by the Mods here? Seems new news.

Does make logistical sense, though.

Guest jvansmit

Is Shang-lar something known by the Mods here? Seems new news.

Does make logistical sense, though.

I was a bit surprised too, and when I questioned it, the service person told me that they've done quite a few sensor replacements in Shanghai.

I'm ticked off though that I'm being charged $90 for them to ship it there .

Edited by jvansmit

I was a bit surprised too, and when I questioned it, the service person told me that they've done quite a few sensor replacements in Shanghai.

I'm ticked off though that I'm being charged $90 for them to ship it there .

They are offering other cameras, including the 246 at a discount. Seems that at this point it may be the more efficient choice.

If you love the v.1 so much, sell the new camera, and buy an M9M with a sensor already replaced.

I swapped emails with Leica Customer Care in Wetzlar at the beginning of March with a query about where I could drop off my MM1 here in Hong Kong (as the boutique declined to help and the local HK service people didn't bother to answer my emails).

Wetzler Customer Care were very helpful until my last email when I specifically asked for a repair time estimate ....I didn't get a reply to that email. :huh:

Sorry, please ignore.  Got my answer!

Edited by silverchrome