M7 Alternative?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm on the hunt for a camera to compliment my M7 for travel photography. Ideally, I'd like an M mount body with a shutter speed of 1/2000 or higher. On a recent trip to Cuba, I took with me my M7 body, 50mm Summicron & 35mm Summicron. To compliment that setup, I also brought along a Contax G2 and ended up using it quite a bit because of its fast shutter speed (1/6000) and ability to shoot "wide open" during the day. The problem, however, is having to switch between two different systems. I've since sold the G2 but now own a 35mm Summilux Pre-ASPH and would love to shoot that beautiful lens wide open during the day. I know that I could just buy an ND filter but maybe there is an M mount body out there that would suit my needs? Currently, the Konica Hexar RF seems to be the practical choice. Any other cameras out there that I should consider? 

• Like 1

I bought a used Zeiss Ikon ZM instead of an M7. It has 1/2000 top shutter speed, and I like the viewfinder better than any of my M bodies. It was discontinued a few years back, but they show up used.

I've been considering the Zeiss for several years now and I do really love the viewfinder but having 1/2000 of a second isn't that big a leap from the 1/1000 I've already got. With that said, the veiwfinder is MUCH nicer than other cameras that I've used. I loved having a fast shutter speed on the Contax but that finder was horrible! Something to think about. 

Hello Film_God,

Welcome to the Forum.

You might consider investigating faster films with the characteristics that you consider necessary: That are present in the film that you are currently using. With, perhaps, a second Leitz/Leica film M body.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Hello Film_God,

Welcome to the Forum.

You might consider investigating faster films with the characteristics that you consider necessary: That are present in the film that you are currently using. With, perhaps, a second Leitz/Leica film M body.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hey Michael, 

Thanks for the welcome and I appreciate the advice. Pan F+ has been a staple in my bag for years, now. I often pull the film to ASA 25 during the day but there are many instances when I am shooting indoors and outdoors at the same time and wouldn't want to bring a bag or second camera. For times like these, Tri-X or Rollei Super Pan 200 are my go-tos. Often, I will leave my bag and "backup camera" at the place I am staying and wander about with just one camera and one lens (usually a 35mm F/1.4) And there lies my dilemma; needing a film M mount body that is fast enough to use medium speed films in a variety of situations. 

Go digi with a Leica M8.  Very high shutter speed, and a reasonable price.

I always wondered why they lowered the shutter speeds after the M8. I did really enjoy mine when I had one but I've got a Typ 246 now and it suits all of my digital needs. I try to stay away from color in digital because I'm colorblind and am bound to screw up the skin tones while editing lol. 

• Like 1

HI Film God,

I was going to suggest a Konica Hexar RF or Zeis Ikon even before I got to the end of your post and then saw Tom's suggestion. Both are fantastic cameras. I've had less experience with the Bessas.

You would not go wrong with wither camera.  Ability to service the Hexar may now be an issue but it's not expensive to buy.

As film is your religion, or you are film's god, why not just get a second M body. There is a benefit of consistency of camera body control layout and handling beyond lens mount compatibility.  That is one reason why, already owning digital M cameras, I bought the M7 (as well as also wanting the option of aperture-priority auto).   Just remember that on anything before the M6, the shutter speed dial works in the opposite direction to that of the M7.

Mark

HI Film God,

I was going to suggest a Konica Hexar RF or Zeis Ikon even before I got to the end of your post and then saw Tom's suggestion. Both are fantastic cameras. I've had less experience with the Bessas.

You would not go wrong with wither camera.  Ability to service the Hexar may now be an issue but it's not expensive to buy.

As film is your religion, or you are film's god, why not just get a second M body. There is a benefit of consistency of camera body control layout and handling beyond lens mount compatibility.  That is one reason why, already owning digital M cameras, I bought the M7 (as well as also wanting the option of aperture-priority auto).   Just remember that on anything before the M6, the shutter speed dial works in the opposite direction to that of the M7.

Mark

You're right- carrying another M body would  probably be the most practical solution. My M6 TTL was my daily companion from 2010 up until this past January when I picked up my M7. I'd have likely kept the M6 but it was chrome I prefer black so when one came into my store, I jumped on it. I'll likely end up grabbing an M4 since I usually shoot my M7 on AE and my Monochrom the same. Changing the shutter speeds wont be as awkward since I rarely touch that dial on my other M's. 

• Like 1