Poor quality of the TL 11-23 lens hood.... ?

meerec

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder if the owners of the TL 11-23MM zoom can confirm the same I see with my new lens I bought yesterday. The plastic hood that is attached the usual way by screwing it in to the lens doesn’t click in place, it freely rotates and I’m worried it will just come off any time.

Mine is a little tricky to start correctly, but locks in the taking position.  In the folded back position it sometimes rotates, but I don't care as much.  That's typical for hoods from this group of manufacturers.  Getting the hood into some random rotation while shooting can shadow the edge of the frame at 11 mm, so be careful.  This is a quality difference between the big SL zooms and the TL products, but the pictures from the TL lenses are flawless so far.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mine locks well onto the lens. But you have to exersise a rather high force the first time; after that, the "click" is more easy to obtain.. :)

Good luck and good picture with this splendid lens.

Oh good idea Marcel ... maybe I didn’t use enough force to lock it in

I’m almost embarrassed to admit I didn’t rotate the hood forcefully enough to the proper “click” ... I feel like deleting my original post, if only I could ... thanks Marcel for putting me on the right path. All good, the lens and the hood feel very solid indeed. Can’t wait to get my CL to try it on.

• Like 3

I’m almost embarrassed to admit I didn’t rotate the hood forcefully enough to the proper “click” ... I feel like deleting my original post, if only I could ... thanks Marcel for putting me on the right path. All good, the lens and the hood feel very solid indeed. Can’t wait to get my CL to try it on.

Keep the thread - you are not the first (and will not be the last) to oversee/-hear the click...  :blink:

Well I got my call today from Melbourne. Should arrive on my doorstep Monday. Yours can't be much further away, mate.

Gordon

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Keep the thread - you are not the first (and will not be the last) to oversee/-hear the click...  :blink:

Sorry to dredge this up but boy, are you right!

For whatever reason I didn't think to rotate the hood on my 18-56 until it clicked:  All I kept saying to myself was "boy, this thing is ready to fall off at a moment's notice". I even said it as I took out my new CL and put the hood on the lens and started to walk around Manhattan. Sure enough, the hood fell off and I didn't notice until it was too late. I heard a tinny click at some point and someone whistled after me but in Manhattan, carrying around a $4000 camera, you tend not to want to turn around and go back to ask if it was you they were whistling at and what did they want. :) So I had to buy a new hood and then ran across this thread and realized that (like with all my other lenses) the hood has to be clicked into place. Why this didn't occur to me BEFORE I had to go out and spend another $70 is beyond me.

However, I WILL say, while the hood is fairly easy to click into place in shooting position, when I try to do the same with it facing in reverse (for transit/storage) I experience a LOT of resistance. I'm almost afraid I'm going to break the hood or the lens itself. 

• Like 2