TAMARKIN 2017

...If it's Wlaidlaw that (as he wrote)  has taken the SGOOD at 125$.. well, surely a good deal. ;)

Indeed, many unsold items, apparently.

Luigi, 

I decided against bidding for the SGOOD, as I have recently acquired one of the excellent TEWE zoom viewfinders, which works very well at 85mm. 

Wilson

Just some thoughts. A lot of factors could have affected this. Most Leica items in the offered catalogue were sold at the LP Auction in Sweden about two weeks ago. Tamarkin tends to attract a US audience because of import taxes etc in Europe and elsewhere. Perhaps the same interest is not in the US at this time. I agree with Wilson's point above that the market has softened as compared to earlier in this decade. The Asian buyers who drove prices to all time highs around 2012 seem to have moved on to other areas.

The Westlicht auction, due this month, has been postponed until next March, but Rahn, the other auction house in which Leica AG has a financial interest, has an auction in early December. They have a lot of stock, but they are definitely 'low-balling' their predicted prices. I suspect that they will sell a lot of their Leica items, but at prices which are lower than those seen in recent years. The decision to 'low ball' in order to get bidder traction or to 'high ball' in order to talk prices up is a difficult one to make. Westlicht has always tended to go in the opposite direction to Rahn as regards start prices and predicted prices, for example

Like all markets this one is cyclical. I believe that rare and desirable Leica items will probably continue to more or less hold their position. Older user Leicas (eg IIIfs) may decline a bit in value, though, as there are a lot of them about. Remember that there was a big increase in prices between 2007 and 2012 with a slight decline or flattening in the last 5 years.

A friend of mine who collects Nikon rangefinders has been telling me that prices are down for good in that market for some years, but there has been some strengthening there in the past year.

Collecting for value is a long term game and one should not engage for a quick profit unless you have very good market information. I collect not for profit, but because I like owning and sometimes using older cameras, particularly Leicas. Anyone interested in engaging in online auctions for cameras might like to  read this article which I wrote a few years ago.

http://macfilos.com/photo/2015/10/29/one-mans-story-online-camera-auctions-and-collecting-classic-leicas?rq=Auctions

William

• Like 3

Yes, me too feel that we are in a very uncertain moment about prices... probably, generally speaking, into a downturn for "usual" items... No strange that WestLicht has postponed its next one... given Leica Co. "supervision" on them AND Rahn, it would be illogical to have two auctions with many many items in the same time.

Anyway...  B)   I've already earned something from Rahn. catalog... one more Telyt-S 800 to add to my personal list.... :p  

Edited by luigi bertolotti