TAMARKIN 2017

Stan was an old friend of mine, and even visited my collection in Belgium many years ago. His son has now taken over the auction, and seems to be following a good path.

Thanks anyway for giving members who do not yet know him, the opportunity to discover this splendid catalog.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I SURELY would like to bid for item #217... :D... is someone interested in buying my HOME in Brescia ? Pecole... given you did know Stan... maybe you could help me in approaching his son to check if maybe he could consider this biz... B)

Maybe somewhere around the globe, someone is sitting at his desk, with a half-used can of black lacquer and some fine engraving tools at his side and is chuckling mischievously... [only kidding]

I would sincerely advise to keep the home ;-)

I SURELY would like to bid for item #217... :D... is someone interested in buying my HOME in Brescia ? Pecole... given you did know Stan... maybe you could help me in approaching his son to check if maybe he could consider this biz... B)

Luigi this one is cheap if you compare to this one for sale on FB Leica classifieds for 600 000 $

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I called by Tamarkin in Chicago 2 weeks ago and Dan showed me some of the items. Item 44 is definitely the most impressive piece, but you would need a big space to store it in. As for item 217, the market will decide what it thinks of a camera that may have sat in a vault for more than 50 years. I met Stan in Chester UK last May and he gave me the impression that his son, Dan, is now in charge of the business.

William

Buying collectable items presumes you will live long enough to profit,

no? Or do collectors have a different motive?

I am not a collector but I do happen to have a few desirable cameras

and I cannot imagine my spouse or family having a faint notion of

how to dispose of them.

My late father-in-law had a huge collection of Belgium Browning shotguns,

and I fear they sold for peanuts.

Oh, me mate has his regular duck hunting gun, user flaws and all.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

The last time I saw this camera, MP-50  Tamarkin 217, was over 30 years ago: and it had a nice black paint (I think) 50 Summicron on it.  In my view, it looked a lot better than the now chrome Elmar.  I got a photo of it at the time, see below.  Also, I have a Sabre stock like item 216, I can post it sometime.

• Like 6

I wonder why the MP - 50 we are discussing about has the strap lugs that are chrome in Alan's pictures, while they are black painted (and triangled-not round) in the same item currently auctioned... (I seem that both kinds of lugs exist onto MP... but don't pretend to know well the MP story...)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 2

[...]

As for item 217, the market will decide what it thinks of a camera that may have sat in a vault for more than 50 years.

[...]

William

It is a cruel fate, indeed, for a camera that was designed as a picture taking tool for the professional, to never see the light of day.

The last time I saw this camera, MP-50  Tamarkin 217, was over 30 years ago: and it had a nice black paint (I think) 50 Summicron on it.  In my view, it looked a lot better than the now chrome Elmar.  I got a photo of it at the time, see below. 

[...]

Your documenting this camera 30 years ago (with a much more fitting lens) means that the 'untouched for 50 years' claim seems to be a little overstated ;-)

I wonder why the MP - 50 we are discussing about has the strap lugs that are chrome in Alan's pictures, while they are black painted (and triangled-not round) in the same item currently auctioned... (I seem that both kinds of lugs exist onto MP... but don't pretend to know well the MP story...)

Well spotted, pertinent observation!

Maybe there is more to it than tongue in cheek...

Maybe somewhere around the globe, someone is sitting at his desk, with a half-used can of black lacquer and some fine engraving tools at his side and is chuckling mischievously... [only kidding]

I would sincerely advise to keep the home ;-)

Well, I have some doubts about the chances of trying...

Incidentally, I just re-discovered a photo taken 36 (thirty-six!) years ago on the occasion of a Stan's visit to me in Belgium.

• Like 3

Buying collectable items presumes you will live long enough to profit,

no? Or do collectors have a different motive?

I am not a collector but I do happen to have a few desirable cameras

and I cannot imagine my spouse or family having a faint notion of

how to dispose of them.

My late father-in-law had a huge collection of Belgium Browning shotguns,

and I fear they sold for peanuts.

Oh, me mate has his regular duck hunting gun, user flaws and all.

The motive in my case is not profit, but simply to own something interesting or beautiful or having some other characteristic. I find that is also the case with most other collectors, of whatever kind, that I know.  Profit is not the only motivation in this world. After I had written an article some years ago about participating in on line camera auctions, a friend who is major well known collector of cameras asked me whether I would like to write an article about the best way for a spouse or other relative to dispose of an inherited camera collection. I could not bring myself to do this as it is very difficult to look into the minds of relatives of deceased persons and what their mindset might be about inherited collections. A camera dealer (of modern cameras only) in Dublin occasionally contacts me when he receives such a collection with a view to finding out if I am interested in any of the items and what value he should put on the items. In many cases when I examine items, they are in need of at least a CLA or even more work, the cost of which has to be factored in.

As for item 217 which is generating some heat here, my only interest is in seeing the outcome, as I would not be a bidder for this item. An auction, if properly run, and this one will be such, is a pure market place which will determine what value collectors will put on any item. Let the market decide etc.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 3