Summilux v2 - what's gold coating?

reddot925

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

Saw a Summilux v2 lens today at a shop serial around 280xxxx, made in Canada, the shop manager was clearly excited with the gold coating and it does look gold (rather than the usual purple that in other Summilux V1 and V2 that I've seen).

Just curious, does anyone know what, even if, anything is special about this gold coating?

Thank you!

Edited by reddot925

Nothing special in my view, just a variation of lens coatings used by Leitz/Leica over time, and likely common when this very lens was made. I do remember my very first goggled Summicron 2/35 (now sold) to have such "gold" colored coatings, whereas later models looked purple, as you have observed yourself.

Andy

I have a Summilux v1 1.765.850  (chrome, coating "purple") and a Summilux v2 2.290.126 (black, coating "gold" or let's say "yellowish" as many other lenses)  : all normal, imho... apart that I like more the chrome... B) (also because the std. filter thread and the OLLUX Hood....better than the v2' one)

Maybe if the item you saw had a coating really and strongly GOLDISH... maybe it has been re-coated... but I think is difficult that such a job has been made by a 3rd party.

(pictures of coating revealing the real hue aren't easy to render... but if you can try...)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Hi All,

Saw a Summilux v2 lens today at a shop serial around 280xxxx, made in Canada, the shop manager was clearly excited with the gold coating and it does look gold (rather than the usual purple that in other Summilux V1 and V2 that I've seen).

Just curious, does anyone know what, even if, anything is special about this gold coating?

Thank you!

Which focal length are we talking about, 35mm or 50mm ?

Edited by a.noctilux