A different kind of bag thread...

Sam M

Fogg B Sharp  hold my M10, and 4 other lenses next to each other without stacking. It's small considering how much it holds.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Idk if these are still made, or readily available on the used market, but I have a bunch of those Leica back-to-back lens couplers.  With a little forethought to pairing (short lenses with long ones, speaking of physical length, not necessarily focal length; and caution about protruding rear elements) I find I can fit four lenses plus two lens-less bodies in very smal bags such as Domke F5XB.  Billingham's smaller bags (Alice, Hadley Small) can swallow even more.  And a standard Hadley can hold so much it really becomes uncomfortable on the shoulder. 

Every group needs an outlier.  My camera bags are New York City bike messenger bags, dirty and beat up.  Gear is put in a variety of very heavy wool socks (mens stockings) of various sizes (kids to very large) and tossed in.  One benefit is when traveling (often in difficult areas) I get looks of pity, not envy. Never any theft !

• Like 1

Just to further reduce my credibility, I never leave filters or caps on the lenses, nor hoods (the side of my hand works well) and no cases or half cases nor neckstraps.  Never had anything damaged in well over 10 million miles and 30 years traveling with cameras  in places including Pakistan, Afghanistan and just left Iran.

• Like 2

I've used an ONA Bowery (their smallest shoulder bag) for over 4 years now, to carry an M w/ 50mm, and two additional lenses, battery, ND filter, white card and cleaning cloth.

In this I have an M10 w/50mm Lux, 21 f/2.8 and 90 f/4 collapsible w/ Macro adapter.

SYa59iol.jpg

• Like 1

Billingham L2 aka Alice: M10, up to 3 additional lenses, filters, batteries, memory cards, lens cloth.

After reading in another thread (I think the M10 accessories thread) that you could fit the M10 with a small enough lens (think Summicron 40mm or M-Rokkor equivalent) in a Billingham AVEA 5 accessory case, I had to risk the $79 to try it out.  The result... a spectacular carry-round kit which can be attached to a belt (if you don't mind the weight).  Here showing the fit.  There is plenty of room for the strap (assuming it's reasonably soft), but an extra battery, while you could probably get it in, would be inconveniently in the way.  

Pardon the iPhone photo... the M10 was busy posing.

I guess I'm a Billingham fan (see my earlier post on the Hadley Digital and Billingham for Leica bags. :-)

Michael

Edited by mdemeyer
  • Like 1

I also like Fogg bags, and the Last Waltz does it for me - each camera can have a small lens in a pouch beneath it - iPad is a 10" ipad pro

• Like 4

Bare Bones Bag Evolution for me. Fits M10 with noctilux 0.95 & one other lense. On the back side ipad and in front pockets phone, keys, wallet etc. With a smaller lens attached, can fit one extra lens & water bottle.

It's also purely black and doesn't look like a camera bag.

Main pocket is covered with a flap that has velcro to keep it closed tight. Front pockets are left under the velcro flap and have zippers for extra protection.

Have had it for number of years and still like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This one I can highly recommend: https://www.peakdesign.com/everyday-messenger

That metal attachment system on the Peakdesign is the best way I know to scratch a Leica.

Billingham and similar old-fashioned stuff is good for forever yesterday’s people.

Like a Leica.

[emoji1]

• Like 1

Like many of you, I own an absurd number of bags.  In the case of the Leica M system, I feel the small size of the camera and lenses (I come from a Nikon DSLR background ending with the D810/D4s) creates amazing opportunities that make the exact design and size and shape of the bag even more important.  Some findings that others might find useful:

- The ONA Berlin II Leica edition (black leather exterior, Leica red interior) is a very attractive bag that can comfortably hold the M10 and four lenses (28 lux, 35 lux, 50 APO, 90 APO) or five lenses (add a 21 SEM) with a double rear lens cap stacking two lenses, together with a 9.5" iPad Pro, and various batteries, cards, lens caps, and other small accessories.  The bag is gorgeous, wears very well, and offers a lot of protection.  The strap issue previously documented on the LUF has been resolved by redesign.  The three downsides of this bag are 1) it's not quite as perfectly stitched and cut as those of best other bag makers (see below) and some of the stitching lines wander or are slightly uneven; 2) it's heavy, in part because of the thick leather used; 3) it's maybe 30% taller than it needs to be, so you will likely have a big empty space at the top of the bag.  You could fit a small water bottle in that space, or a small tripod, but neither seems like a great choice to put on top of $30k worth of camera gear.  The ONA buckles don't offer a lot of feedback when closed properly but are easy to open and very each to close.  In a rough environment, this would probably be my bag of choice because of the thickness of the leather and the fact that scratches make it look better, not worse.  $400.  12.5" x 10" x 4.5" exterior.

- The Oberwerth Leica Edition (like a Freiburg, but in all black leather exterior and slightly larger), is a beautifully made bag that is about 2" shorter and 2" less wide than the ONA Berlin II.  The quality of the stitching and cutting is virtually perfect.  If you order an extra divider (very expensive at about $28), you will find that, remarkably, it can also hold the M10 and four lenses (e.g., 28 lux, 35 lux, 50 APO, 90 APO), together with a slew of small accessories.  It comes with a separate pouch for an extra battery and a separate pouch for an EVF, both of which snap around the strap.  The strap contains some kind of hard cut-resistant material to thwart thieves.  In terms of photographic capability held per unit volume, this bag is incredible-- to be able to fit four lenses, two of which are quite large, plus an EVF, body, and two batteries in such a compact bag is a near-miracle.  Also, the padding is outstanding and at the top of the bag is superior to that of the ONA.  The closures are extremely easy to open (but secure) and somewhat harder to close, but with strong feedback to signify proper closure.  Perhaps the only major downside is the bag is very expensive at ~$1,000.  10.6" x 8.0" x 4.3" exterior.

- The Oberwerth Bayreuth is the biggest surprise.  With an extra divider, and removal of the unnecessary (and almost useless) flat leather pockets that are sewn into the interior walls, which is easily done with a seam ripping tool, and an extra divider, this remarkably TINY bag can hold an M10 and three lenses-- even the 28 lux, 50 APO, and 90 APO!  One has to put the camera lens down at the top of the bag, but that's my preferred position for easy removal anyway.  The bag is top-quality like all Oberwerth products, and is beautiful.  It's so small, however, that taking it around whenever I leave the house is a pleasure, and has come in handy many times when an interesting photographic opportunity spontaneously unfolds while walking.  Being able to have an M10, 28, 50, and 90 with me every day without feeling encumbered is, frankly, surreal.  About $400-500.  7.5" x 6.9" x 3.3" exterior.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

I use a japanese head porter bagpack with an artisan artist insert. I do switch the insert sometimes to an Ona Bower Nylon if I am out and about so I can carry it seperately. This is helpful in places where larger bags need to be checked. Important to me was to be able to quickly open the bag (one clasp) so I can quickly change lenses. The Bowery can easily go back into the backpack once I am done taking pictures.

With bagpack and artisan insert I struggled a bit while changing lenses and the Bowery carried on its own while I have the camera out solved that.

Edited by Jk1002

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty impressed what you can fit in an Hadley Small. M10 wir Elmar 24, Summilux 50, Summarit 35, Vario Elmar 80-200, Leica T, sunglasses and other stuff!

Lenses right and left. M10 with lens in the middle.