Comments on use/performance of 80-200R on SL601?

ropo54

Hi All!

How about the focus of R 80-200 f4 on SL? The focuss peaking will work on SL 601 for R lens via adaptor R-M & M-T/L (or R-T/L)?

Hsve a good day!

Many Thanks!

No problem at all. Actually, focus peaking is available for all types of adapters; dummy, manual, third party adapters included. So plug and play and enjoy! Edited by helged
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/29/2017 at 1:21 AM, wlaidlaw said:

If anyone needs an 80-200/f4 Vario Elmar R (ROM), I have one surplus to my requirements. Pretty much unused since service by Will van Manen. PM me if interested. 

Wilson

Do you have Leica 80-200 f/4 ROM lens to sell? price?is it used? Mint? early reply expected regards Dr ashok, email asok20kumar@gmail.com

On the 80-200 zooming is internal but focusing with the front collar is not. The whole front section of the lens moves in and out with focusing but at least it does not rotate, which is useful if you are using a polarising filter. I would have far preferred that Kyocera who made both this lens and the similar performance Zeiss 100-300 Vario Sonnar, copied the Zeiss one ring control, which rotates to focus and trombones to zoom. I keep finding myself trying to focus with the zoom ring on the 80-200.

If you are considering buying one, check for a very common fault on these which is where the damping link on the focus ring comes detached. This will make the focus ring very sloppy and difficult to use. Mine had this and I got Will van Manen to reconnect it, when he cleaned my 80-200, which came from a very heavy smoker household and smelt like an old ashtray. That was a huge improvement. It works very well with the APO 2X Extender. 

Since I posted that I might be selling it, I have added a number of Leica R cameras to my collection (R4 MOT, R8 and R9), so now need to keep the 80-200 but I no longer use it on my SL or CL, as I bought the excellent L mount Panasonic 70-200 with OIS. This is far more usable for me than the very good but unwieldy Leica 90-280 L mount lens, which I bought but sold. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw