Comments on use/performance of 80-200R on SL601?

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wondering what users' experiences are regarding the use of the 80-200 f4 R on the SL.  Any comments/thoughts are appreciated.

IQ?

Can it be used hand held?

Has anyone used it with a 2x adapter?

Thanks,

Rob

• Like 1

I found the IQ to be good, and used it handheld, also, on a few test occasions with a 2x adapter.  The one difficulty I had, if I'm recalling this correctly, is that it was too easy to accidentally nudge the focus when hand holding.

I'm sorry I don't have any examples I can share.

Just wondering what users' experiences are regarding the use of the 80-200 f4 R on the SL.  Any comments/thoughts are appreciated.

IQ?

Can it be used hand held?

Has anyone used it with a 2x adapter?

Thanks,

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

the 80-200 F4 is very easy to use and much lighter than the 90-280. IQ is very good, but does not reach the 90 -280. Here are two examples (the original files are razor sharp, up the upload system washed away all details).

Andreas

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

The images Andreas posted reminded me that I do have some samples of this lens used handheld with 2x extender.  However they were taken on a Type 240, if that's of any help. 

Ed,

Superb! Thank you.

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

Hi Rob,

the 80-200 F4 is very easy to use and much lighter than the 90-280. IQ is very good, but does not reach the 90 -280. Here are two examples (the original files are razor sharp, up the upload system washed away all details).

Andreas

Might I suggest reducing the image size to 1280 pixels  or less before uploading. There will be no alteration by the forum software then.

Its a great lens, much lighter and easy to use on the SL. Beautiful colour. These are at 200mm and 80mm

Thank you. I am awaiting arrival. (I was impressed with the photos posted here by FM members). 

Rob

I have the Vario Elmarit R 80-200mm & the APO R180mm F2.8 which I used them on my M240.

After the arrival of my APO SL 90-280mm + SL, both lenses have been sitting in my dry cabinet collecting dust.

I'm giving 'smaller' a try before 'huge and heavy'!  I see how nicely the 90-280 resolves, but do not know that I want to carry it around. 

Thanks,

Rob

I'm giving 'smaller' a try before 'huge and heavy'! I see how nicely the 90-280 resolves, but do not know that I want to carry it around.

Thanks,

Rob

I understand where you're coming from as a hobbyist like myself. For wide angle lenses application I do not see a significant benefit in AF over manual focusing (at least so for landscape photography, AF can be a liability when minimium apperature is set for a clear short from edge to edge of frame rather more benefits from weather seal of the AF SL lenses).However iIn the short to medium range telephoto & zoom lenses application, AF is more often helpful, especially such for sports & wildlife photography. For me ( not certain about others), > 300mm focal length,I see the AF benefits as a reducing return.

• Like 2

Recently, I picked up the same lens, and was stunned by the sharpness, and contrast of the 80-200. The focus and zoom rings are butter smooth, which is a plus if you are shooting video.

I am thinking you will be very happy with your lens.

• Like 2

If anyone needs an 80-200/f4 Vario Elmar R (ROM), I have one surplus to my requirements. Pretty much unused since service by Will van Manen. PM me if interested. 

Wilson

• Like 1

If anyone needs an 80-200/f4 Vario Elmar R (ROM), I have one surplus to my requirements. Pretty much unused since service by Will van Manen. PM me if interested. 

Wilson

Regrettably you are 3 days too late!

Thank you, nonetheless.

Rob