Wireless flash triggering on SL

MEB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I need some advice. I just purchased a Phottix Odin II transmitter and receiver to use with my SL.

I bought the units that are configured for Nikon. I mounted my SF58 flash on the receiver and the Odin II

transmitter on the camera hotshoe. I set the camera for Manual (f/5.6 1/125 sec). I turned everything on and

when I pushed the "test" button on the transmitter the flash fired. The flash also worked perfectly when mounted

directly on the camera body. However, when I pushed the shutter button on the camera I could not get the wireless

system to work. The pin arrangement on the hotshoe appears to match the pins on the wireless transmitter.

Am I missing a step? I really want to be able to use my SL to take lighted photos controlled remotely. I thought

this system would work but it isn't happening. I'm open to all advice.

Thanks,

Mark

I have used the utter cheapo Cactus V2 transmitter/receiver pair with the SL and several different flash units (Nikon, Olympus, Sunpak...). No problems at all. The Cactus unit is non-dedicated .. It's just a simple RF trigger. 

I need some advice. I just purchased a Phottix Odin II transmitter and receiver to use with my SL.

I bought the units that are configured for Nikon. I mounted my SF58 flash on the receiver and the Odin II

transmitter on the camera hotshoe. I set the camera for Manual (f/5.6 1/125 sec). I turned everything on and

when I pushed the "test" button on the transmitter the flash fired. The flash also worked perfectly when mounted

directly on the camera body. However, when I pushed the shutter button on the camera I could not get the wireless

system to work. The pin arrangement on the hotshoe appears to match the pins on the wireless transmitter.

Am I missing a step? I really want to be able to use my SL to take lighted photos controlled remotely. I thought

this system would work but it isn't happening. I'm open to all advice.

Thanks,

Mark

Are you sure Mark that the part fitted to the SL is securely and completely in the hotshoe? I am using Elinchrom lights with their Skyport trigger, and it can be that the flash does not fire, if I have too quickly attached the Skyport to the SL and it is not fully in the SL's hotshoe?

Are you sure Mark that the part fitted to the SL is securely and completely in the hotshoe? I am using Elinchrom lights with their Skyport trigger, and it can be that the flash does not fire, if I have too quickly attached the Skyport to the SL and it is not fully in the SL's hotshoe?

Stephen,

It is very possible that you are correct. I was thinking the same possibility. The Odin transmitter has a rubber flange at the

tail end of the shoe mount that might be prohibiting me from pushing the piece all the way onto the hotshoe of the camera.

I will examine this possibility after a night's rest.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark

Some Nikon compatible triggers have issues with the SL. There was a thread about ProPhoto triggers not firing as well.

My best guess is the camera doesn't like the way the trigger talks to the shoe so it shuts down the shoe for safety reasons.

Try taping the pins on the trigger except for the central.

I use either Elimchrom or Godox triggers nearly every day and never have issues as they are single pin triggers.

Gordon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some Nikon compatible triggers have issues with the SL. There was a thread about ProPhoto triggers not firing as well.

My best guess is the camera doesn't like the way the trigger talks to the shoe so it shuts down the shoe for safety reasons.

Try taping the pins on the trigger except for the central.

I use either Elimchrom or Godox triggers nearly every day and never have issues as they are single pin triggers.

Gordon

So that's why my Nikon Speedlight SB-700 soemtimes works and sometimes not with my SL - it is not a single pin trigger. It has 4 pins...... Well I have only bought that in preparation for the Hasselblad X1D which insists on specific Nikon flash.

I tried and tried but could not make the Phottix Odin work with the SL system.  I returned the set to B-H Photo and called their tech section for advice. The technician I spoke with recommended Vello.  I took his advice and purchased a set.  They are incredibly inexpensive (a transmitter and two receivers were $90).  The system worked first time/every time.  It is very simple, basically on or off and you choose a channel.  That is it; but now I have a reliable radio remote trigger system that works with the SL.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Which PocketWizards are you still using? All of mine (flex tt5, Nikon) fail.

The Pocketwizard Mini TT1 is my trigger. I use Flex TT5 as receivers, and both Nikon SB24 and Leica SF64 strobes.

This is a purely dumb triggering system: no TTL, no information on camera settings, no flash control.

• Like 1

Mark,

Can you share the Vello trigger system model number?

Thanks,

Denis

Denis,

The kit that I bought I got from B&H Photo in New York.  It is called the "Vello Freewave LR Kit with 2 receivers"  I'm not sure what the manufacturer's code is but at B&H their number is:  VERFWLRK

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I have problem too. I use Cactus Wireless flash transceiver /receiver V6II with my Leica SL and Leica SF64 flash.   It does trigger the flash but it seems that the flash cannot sync with the camera shutter speed. The flash light can't get into to the camera but sometime it works.  Really frustrated.

... that the flash cannot sync with the camera...

If I remember right, the manual describes that the user can influence the synctime. But I'm not sure. My Cactus V6II don't support the SF 64 anyhow. They work fine with my Nikon SB on Nikon. As described in the german section, V6I works fine on the SL with the Cactus flash but doesn't support TTL.

Edited by Alo Ako

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I'm planning on doing a shoot this time home with SL and Hasselblad 503 using profoto B1 heads (two of them). I've used the Profoto Air remote on the Blad before and it worked really well, hopefully it will work as well on the SL...............has anyone on here used there SL with Profoto gear??